Old 12-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Why is nothing growing?

Apart from one pea that is, I've planted carrots, beetroot,
swiss chard, peas and radish, but as I've said, nothing
except one pea has sprouuted.

Although the potatoes are doing quite well.

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Old 12-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Steve

http://www.metcheck.com/cet.asp

Old 12-05-2005, 08:24 PM
keith ;-\)

My carrots,peas,parsnips,beetroot,onions all doing good,saladini lettuce
will soon be ready for first cut.They have all had fleece over them though.

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:19 PM
ajr

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Apart from one pea that is, I've planted carrots, beetroot,
swiss chard, peas and radish, but as I've said, nothing
except one pea has sprouuted.

Although the potatoes are doing quite well.

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Alan,

Same thing here (on the Somerset coast) - :-((

Bring on global warming!! :-))

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 12-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan Holmes" wrote

Apart from one pea that is, I've planted carrots, beetroot,
swiss chard, peas and radish, but as I've said, nothing
except one pea has sprouuted.

Although the potatoes are doing quite well.

Early and Second early spuds are up, now under fleece.
All 4 rows of peas now showing, good germination.
Garlic looking fantastic, thick stems, could be a good year.
Shallots and onions looking good.
Carrots only went in this week (Long Red Surrey or Chertsey, own seed)
Strawberries flowering exceptionally well.
Dahlias now coming up too ( left in for years)

Lots of red lettuce "weeds" all winter due to me allowing last years unused
ones to go to seed,
we will simply dig some up and plant in rows...free red lettuce. We already
have a row almost ready to pick done the same way during winter.
Why is it so expensive in the shops when it will grow like a weed and is so
hardy?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 13-05-2005, 10:11 AM

Alan Holmes wrote:

Apart from one pea that is, I've planted carrots, beetroot,
swiss chard, peas and radish, but as I've said, nothing
except one pea has sprouuted.

Well if you're in the East like us, it's cold!

--
Chris Green
Old 14-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Alan Holmes

wrote in message ...
Alan Holmes wrote:

Apart from one pea that is, I've planted carrots, beetroot,
swiss chard, peas and radish, but as I've said, nothing
except one pea has sprouuted.

Well if you're in the East like us, it's cold!

I'm in Windsor!

But there is a rather cold wind at the moment from the East.

Alan

--
Chris Green

Old 16-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Des Higgins

wrote in message ...
Alan Holmes wrote:

Apart from one pea that is, I've planted carrots, beetroot,
swiss chard, peas and radish, but as I've said, nothing
except one pea has sprouuted.

Well if you're in the East like us, it's cold!

I'm in Windsor!

But there is a rather cold wind at the moment from the East.

Here in Dublin, everything is slow and it has been cold.

Alan

--
Chris Green

Old 16-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Dave

Alan Holmes wrote:

Apart from one pea that is, I've planted carrots, beetroot,
swiss chard, peas and radish, but as I've said, nothing
except one pea has sprouuted.

Well if you're in the East like us, it's cold!

I suspect its because its been both cold and dry most of this winter,
and now continuing into the spring.

I don't remember my grass growing so little at this time of year, and
that wind from the NE is still pretty cold.

Having said all that, the weekend (esp Sun) was really good here and I
painted half the outside of the house and fell asleep on the grass by
the pond in the sun. It was lovely.
--
David
Old 17-05-2005, 09:10 AM
jane

On Sat, 14 May 2005 13:14:29 +0100, Janet Galpin
wrote:

~The message
~from Janet Tweedy contains these words:
~
~ In article , writes
~ Alan Holmes wrote:
~
~ Apart from one pea that is, I've planted carrots, beetroot,
~ swiss chard, peas and radish, but as I've said, nothing
~ except one pea has sprouuted.
~
~ Well if you're in the East like us, it's cold!
~
~
~Surprising that your radish hasn't shown, but it has been cold. Carrots
~can be very slow and need careful watering - kept damp but without
~capping. Peas are very susceptible to mice but beetroot should show.
~Mine are up but under fleece.

This year my motto has been to fleece or cloche everything possible.

My early carrots went in 2 months ago under a home-made plastic cloche
(Wickes corrugated plastic held in place by a D of wire, and closed
off by spare bits). They're doing very well - have now converted their
protection to an enviromesh Geoff Hamilton cloche (ie blue water pipe
and the pegged mesh!) and sowed a row of maincrops.

Radishes came up, got fleabeetled and vanished again. Parsnips are
suffering severe attrition due to something which likes them (slugs
probably) as they were all growing well when I put them out in their
loo rolls...
Cabbages are under fleece to stop the *!#£$ flea beetles from getting
them too!

~My potatoes are badly frosted. Guess I should consider fleece next year.
Don't remind me... I did fleece my earlies with two stitched 1.5m
pieces, pegged down. Came back at weekend from a work trip to find
them brown and crispy and the fleece blown off. Grumble. If you do go
for fleece, just pegging doesn't always work. I've since wired the
edges to broom handles which seems to have sorted it, though it's a
bit of a case of the stable door... luckily the maincrops are still
covered with a double fleece layer.

~Garlic very healthy and robust. Over-wintered onions beginning to bulk
~up. Peas transplanted from roottrainers are about a foot high; I've
~never succeeded straight into the ground because of mice I assume.
~Over-wintered broad beans are a bit slow - in flower and about 18" but
~some way to go yet. I've had some exellent cauliflowers (Mayflower) and
~the next lot, Juno, are almost ready (selection from Marshalls). Purple
~sprouting broccoli is just coming to an end. Asparagus is just about
~filling the gap until cauliflowers and polytunnel peas are ready.

I've got a few beets but now awaiting the great plant out in a couple
of weeks. I have some water cooler bottles with the bases sawn off
which are excellent individual cloches, and there are direct-sown
French beans growing happily underneath them. If you can get hold of
these, they're a lot cheaper than bell cloches and pretty rigid! (And
the bases make great saucers for containers). Am thinking of putting
them over the early courgettes too.

Anyone else trying the Parthenon self-fertile variety?

--
jane

Mark Twain