Old 14-05-2005, 02:29 AM
Vox Humana

"Newsgroups" wrote in message
ups.com...
I live in New York and I just bought 8 Emerald Green Arborvitaes to
plant on the South side of my house. I was wondering if someone can
tell me and let me know the best way to plant them. It indicates that
they grow to 15 ft and 3 feet wide but doesn't give much more
information. Is there a special type of soil that would be best???????
I live near the beach and was wondering if there is anything special I
should do. Any help on planting these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

In addition to what Paghat said, I would just note that if you are in zone 5
in NY, they may be marginally hearty. They tend to turn bronze if the
winter is too cold. I see people buying them by the cart load now at places
like Costco because they are sold as a quick growing, nearly instant privacy
screen that can grow about anywhere and are deer resistant. It seems that
they either thrive or die a slow death. Do keep the receipt in a safe place
if there is a guarantee. I see loads of dead arborvitae in the return
section of garden centers and Costco.

As far as planting them, I wouldn't get carried away with amending the soil
but do excavate a big hole. If they are going to be planted in a row, you
might consider having someone excavate a trench. For eight plants, you will
need a trench about 30 feet long and as deep as the rootball. That could be
a lot of work unless you are blessed with excellent soil as opposed to heavy
clay like I have.