Old 14-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Janet Galpin

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

In article , writes
Alan Holmes wrote:

Apart from one pea that is, I've planted carrots, beetroot,
swiss chard, peas and radish, but as I've said, nothing
except one pea has sprouuted.

Well if you're in the East like us, it's cold!

Surprising that your radish hasn't shown, but it has been cold. Carrots
can be very slow and need careful watering - kept damp but without
capping. Peas are very susceptible to mice but beetroot should show.
Mine are up but under fleece.

My potatoes are badly frosted. Guess I should consider fleece next year.
Garlic very healthy and robust. Over-wintered onions beginning to bulk
up. Peas transplanted from roottrainers are about a foot high; I've
never succeeded straight into the ground because of mice I assume.
Over-wintered broad beans are a bit slow - in flower and about 18" but
some way to go yet. I've had some exellent cauliflowers (Mayflower) and
the next lot, Juno, are almost ready (selection from Marshalls). Purple
sprouting broccoli is just coming to an end. Asparagus is just about
filling the gap until cauliflowers and polytunnel peas are ready.

Janet G (S. Lincs)