Old 15-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Prager
I wonder if anyone reading this has had experience with Osmanthus fragrans in U.S. zone 8. The books I'm consulting say it is hardy into zone 7 and that it can be damaged by temperatures lower than 0F (-18C).

However, here in zone 8, ours is badly affected nearly every winter and spring by temperatures rarely below 20F (-7C), and never lower than 12F (-11C). Annually, it suffers extensive twig and leaf damage. It's unsightly, and what is worse, we scarcely get any flowers.

I am planning to remove it. Is it possible that another
specimen would do better in this spot? (It would have to be the species, as no local nurseries have named cultivars.) Or should I give up on this entirely?

By the way, O. x fortunei is doing quite well, nearby.

Mike Prager
On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Hi Mike,

What are the sun conditions where it's planted? It doesn't like very sandy soil. I'm thinking since you live on the coast, maybe it is getting burned by the winter sun.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/o/osm_frag.cfm

Do you want fragrance and what height and width will the space accomadate?

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.