Old 11-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Mike Prager

Default Osmanthus fragrans

I wonder if anyone reading this has had experience with
Osmanthus fragrans in U.S. zone 8. The books I'm consulting
say it is hardy into zone 7 and that it can be damaged by
temperatures lower than 0F (-18C).

However, here in zone 8, ours is badly affected nearly every
winter and spring by temperatures rarely below 20F (-7C), and
never lower than 12F (-11C). Annually, it suffers extensive
twig and leaf damage. It's unsightly, and what is worse, we
scarcely get any flowers.

I am planning to remove it. Is it possible that another
specimen would do better in this spot? (It would have to be
the species, as no local nurseries have named cultivars.) Or
should I give up on this entirely?

By the way, O. x fortunei is doing quite well, nearby.

Mike Prager
On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
Old 15-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Prager
I wonder if anyone reading this has had experience with Osmanthus fragrans in U.S. zone 8. The books I'm consulting say it is hardy into zone 7 and that it can be damaged by temperatures lower than 0F (-18C).

However, here in zone 8, ours is badly affected nearly every winter and spring by temperatures rarely below 20F (-7C), and never lower than 12F (-11C). Annually, it suffers extensive twig and leaf damage. It's unsightly, and what is worse, we scarcely get any flowers.

I am planning to remove it. Is it possible that another
specimen would do better in this spot? (It would have to be the species, as no local nurseries have named cultivars.) Or should I give up on this entirely?

By the way, O. x fortunei is doing quite well, nearby.

Mike Prager
On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Hi Mike,

What are the sun conditions where it's planted? It doesn't like very sandy soil. I'm thinking since you live on the coast, maybe it is getting burned by the winter sun.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/o/osm_frag.cfm

Do you want fragrance and what height and width will the space accomadate?

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 15-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Mike Prager

http://tinyurl.com/8qrvc

Do you want fragrance and what height and width will the space
accomadate?

Newt,

The soil is sandy, but good enough so that most everything
else does fine. That includes camellias, azaleas, crape
myrtles, privet, abelia, loropetalum, six viburnum species,
and indeed O. fortunei.

I can't rule out winter sun as the problem, but my thought
it's that we often have warm winters that very suddenly turn
quite cold and damage the plant before it has gone dormant.
The same thing happens in spring: it weather can get warm and
then suddenly go well below freezing. The almost constant wind
in the site does not help.

We would like fragrance (and freedom from spraying). The site
will accommodate a shrub about 8 ft wide by 12 or more ft
tall. It is not far from a large doublefile viburnum
'Shasta'. That has a strong horizontal form, and I was
looking for something vertical in the spot now filled by the
Osmanthus.

We have winter honeysuckle on the other side of the driveway,
but I don't want one in this spot.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 16-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Registered User

Newt wrote:

[...]

Mike, you might find this site helpful. Click on 'Fragrant' on the right and it lists trees, shrubs, etc. When you want more detailed info, go to www.google.com and put in the botanical name and click on 'Images' for more pics. Let me know what you come up with that might tickle your fancy.
http://www.floridata.com/main_fr.cfm....cfm?list=type

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

[IMG] code is On

Osmanthus fragrans between properties Higgs Boson Gardening 0 10-05-2013 10:23 PM
Dying Osmanthus Lilly Gardening 1 06-09-2011 02:46 PM
My Osmanthus fragrans does not bloom osu_shaw Gardening 1 07-01-2007 05:16 PM
For sale: Osmanthus fragrans (Sweet Olive), potted, Burbank CA [email protected] Gardening 0 13-11-2005 11:28 PM
Where to buy Osmanthus Fragrans in Canada? K. Wing Wong Gardening 4 24-07-2003 12:02 PM