Old 15-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Tumbleweed

"mikem1066" wrote in message

As a new member and relatively new gardener I am looking for some advice
regarding my new lawn.

I have recently bought a new house and, like the house itself, the
garden is in need of a great deal of attention. The elderly gentleman
who owned it before me used almost all of the plot for growing
vegetables and although I want to keep some veg I decided to convert a
large portion of it to lawn. I spent several weeks weeding, leveling
and digging out all the old veg. I sowed the grass seed a few weeks ago
and there is now a lovely covering of new grass. Unfortunately this week
I started to notice the new leaves of potatoes also coming through. I
was gutted because of the amount of time and effort I put in preparing
the site.

I'm now not sure what to do. As there appear to be 40-50 plants coming
through I don't really want to mess up the new lawn by digging them all
out but I'm guessing that if I just mow the tops off them they won't die
but will just multiply.

You guess incorrectly, they will die eventually if you keep mowing them.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com