Old 15-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Registered User

Unhappy New Lawn Problem - Potatoes !

As a new member and relatively new gardener I am looking for some advice regarding my new lawn.

I have recently bought a new house and, like the house itself, the garden is in need of a great deal of attention. The elderly gentleman who owned it before me used almost all of the plot for growing vegetables and although I want to keep some veg I decided to convert a large portion of it to lawn. I spent several weeks weeding, leveling and digging out all the old veg. I sowed the grass seed a few weeks ago and there is now a lovely covering of new grass. Unfortunately this week I started to notice the new leaves of potatoes also coming through. I was gutted because of the amount of time and effort I put in preparing the site.

I'm now not sure what to do. As there appear to be 40-50 plants coming through I don't really want to mess up the new lawn by digging them all out but I'm guessing that if I just mow the tops off them they won't die but will just multiply. I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest a solution - maybe there is some systemic treatment I can use to get rid of them ?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated as I really don't fancy the idea of having to start all over again !
Old 15-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Mike Lyle

mikem1066 wrote:
[...]

Mowing should kill them off all right; but you could pull the tops
off by hand. No cause for alarm.

--
Mike.

Old 15-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Tumbleweed

"mikem1066" wrote in message

[...]

You guess incorrectly, they will die eventually if you keep mowing them.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 15-05-2005, 08:05 PM
ajr

"mikem1066" wrote in message

[...]

No - that's worms!!

Just pull the leaves off, the remainder will rot away over the summer.

Old 16-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Registered User

Well, thanks for all the replies. It's a relief to know it won't be a major problem.

Cheers !

Mike

Something new(to me) about new potatoes Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 9 16-06-2011 07:06 PM
OK, new lawn rodent problem [email protected] Lawns 2 13-07-2006 11:26 PM
New lawn problem, please help! Mary Beth Lawns 2 17-06-2006 03:14 PM
new lawn problem Scott Whitehead Lawns 5 19-06-2004 01:11 AM
new lawn problem Scott Whitehead United Kingdom 2 16-06-2004 10:08 AM