Old 05-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Trevor Appleton

Default Sarcococca

Is it me?

Scent is one of my main interests in the garden, and especially winter
scent. My all time favourite plant is my 7 year old Daphne bholua
'Darjeeling' now 6ft high by 4 ft spread which I can smell from 20 yards
even when its minus 6 outside. Its been flowering its socks off for six
weeks now.

But Sarcocca? I find the smell absolutely obnoxious. To me it smells like a
plastic bottle that has been left on a red hot hob.

BTW have tried for several years to grow Lonicera fragrantissima and L.
purpusii. The bushes grow to 4ft x 4ft, but have a pathetic number of
flowers, and I'll probably give up and throw them away.

---