Old 05-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Trevor Appleton

Default Sarcococca

Is it me?

Scent is one of my main interests in the garden, and especially winter
scent. My all time favourite plant is my 7 year old Daphne bholua
'Darjeeling' now 6ft high by 4 ft spread which I can smell from 20 yards
even when its minus 6 outside. Its been flowering its socks off for six
weeks now.

But Sarcocca? I find the smell absolutely obnoxious. To me it smells like a
plastic bottle that has been left on a red hot hob.

BTW have tried for several years to grow Lonicera fragrantissima and L.
purpusii. The bushes grow to 4ft x 4ft, but have a pathetic number of
flowers, and I'll probably give up and throw them away.

---

Old 06-02-2003, 06:09 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 22:42:57 -0000, "Trevor Appleton"
wrote:

BTW have tried for several years to grow Lonicera fragrantissima and L.
purpusii. The bushes grow to 4ft x 4ft, but have a pathetic number of
flowers, and I'll probably give up and throw them away.

Try the other one, L. standishii.

I have a couple of large bushes that I *think* are L. standishii,
though I'm none too certain, and they are reliable performers. It
is a joy when they come into flower at this time of year.

YMMV, given soil/climate differences, of course.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 06-02-2003, 03:44 PM
Alison

"Sue" wrote in message

snip

Another thing is that men seem less able to detect some scents than women.
I always enjoy the fresh scent when walking by some nearby balsam poplars
in spring or autumn, but my Other Half can't smell them at all.

Sue

Yes this would seem to be true. We go for a walk every evening once
daylight goes past 7pm (I have to walk on my own in the day until then) and
the smell of all the honeysuckles is intoxicating for me, even overpowering
on a warm evening. The other half claims to not even get a whiff of it -
how sad that he misses so much.

--Alison

Old 06-02-2003, 03:55 PM
Alison

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
Is it me?

Scent is one of my main interests in the garden, and especially winter
scent. My all time favourite plant is my 7 year old Daphne bholua
'Darjeeling' now 6ft high by 4 ft spread which I can smell from 20 yards
even when its minus 6 outside. Its been flowering its socks off for six
weeks now.

I'd love to grow this but I've been told that it's a bit too cold for a bit
too long up here in East Scotland.

But Sarcocca? I find the smell absolutely obnoxious. To me it smells like

plastic bottle that has been left on a red hot hob.

This thread has made me wish that my little hedge was more established than
just 10 weeks so that I could pass comment. For me, it's Paperwhites and
Box plants. The 'fragrance of Box has always smelt like cat's pee to me,
and I grew 'lovely frangrant' Paperwhites this year which have now to live
in the open lobby cos the smell to me is vile (maybe it's a pregnancy thing
with the latter though)

BTW have tried for several years to grow Lonicera fragrantissima and L.
purpusii. The bushes grow to 4ft x 4ft, but have a pathetic number of
flowers, and I'll probably give up and throw them away.

My plants have been sulking for three years now - not a flower in sight, and
never has been.

--A

Old 06-02-2003, 05:07 PM
Pam Moore

wrote:

But Sarcocca? I find the smell absolutely obnoxious.

Strange. I have been enjoying mine every time I passed it for a few
weeks. My daughter came and I enthused about it and she said it smelt
like cats' pee! I think it does smell different if you push your nose
in the bush. Just walk past and the perfume is wonderful.

BTW my lonicera fragrantissima has a mass of flower and smells good.

Sacha: thanks for sarcococca cuttings advice. I will try.

Cheers
Pam

Bristol
Old 07-02-2003, 11:22 PM
tim

I have found Lon. purpusii needs to pruned very little and responds to a
cold winter much better. It will flower better if it gets a cold snap
straight after autumn.
I love scented plants but i must admit at this time of year the weather
never seems to provide the right environment for the scent to travel far.
Unless you cut branches to take indoors.

Old 08-02-2003, 11:05 PM
trevor.appleton

I love scented plants but i must admit at this time of year the weather
never seems to provide the right environment for the scent to travel far.

cetainly not the case with Daphne bholua 'Darjeeling'

I find the scent carries for 10 s of metres ven on very frosty nights

---