Old 17-05-2005, 05:13 AM
Reel McKoi

"George" wrote in message
news:hPdie.763$796.525@attbi_s21...

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
Watch the current... that can kill them as well as being sucked into the
filter. There are fry-friendly filters out there. I don't use filters

with
fry until they're over a week old.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

If your pond has plenty of shelter, you should not have to worry too much

about
them getting sucked into a filter. Fry tend to stay out of open waters if

there
is shelter for them.

$ I see them both in the taller plants and in the thickets of hornwart and
parrots feather, *and* in the open part of my 150 gallon kiddy pools. They
don't get too close to the air stones. This may be because there are no
bigger fish in these pools so they feel safe (???). I don't know. I do
know I have found small dead fry in my Tetra filters that are on the big
ponds. They get too close to those baskets over the big Versa pump and ....
:*(

My pond has lots of rocks with plenty of nooks and
crannies to hide in, especially behind the waterfall where the water is

calm and
there are plants to hide among as well. Adult fish generally tend to eat

the
fry if they can catch the, so they are more of a threat than the filter

is.

$ Probably most get eaten if larger fish are present. Dragon fly larvae
also eat them. Very few fry survive in my 2000 gallon pond. More survive
in the smaller pond, but that pond is closer to nature and has more thickets
of plants in the warm shallows. I would really like to redo my large pond
and make it more natural looking. Also the man made the sides too steep and
they're starting to cave in. We're going to have to redo it sooner or later
anyway. Holding all the fish in some kind of tub or pools while the work
is being done is going to be a real problem because some of my koi are
pretty darn big now (ammonia).

So
I would try to provide some sheltered areas for them. I agree about the
current, though. It can be rough on fry. Perhaps they can add a valve to

the
outlet on the pump and crank the flow down a bit.

$ I do believe current in many ponds is what kills many newly hatched fry.

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)