Old 17-05-2005, 07:59 AM
George

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
news:hPdie.763$796.525@attbi_s21...

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
Watch the current... that can kill them as well as being sucked into the
filter. There are fry-friendly filters out there. I don't use filters

with
fry until they're over a week old.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

If your pond has plenty of shelter, you should not have to worry too much

about
them getting sucked into a filter. Fry tend to stay out of open waters if

there
is shelter for them.

$ I see them both in the taller plants and in the thickets of hornwart and
parrots feather, *and* in the open part of my 150 gallon kiddy pools. They
don't get too close to the air stones. This may be because there are no
bigger fish in these pools so they feel safe (???). I don't know. I do
know I have found small dead fry in my Tetra filters that are on the big
ponds. They get too close to those baskets over the big Versa pump and ....
:*(

If there are no adults in the pool, they would likely venture out into open
water. If adults are in the pool, they will stay in a sheltered area until they
get much larger. I'm not saying that it isn't possible for them to get caught in
a filter, but if you arrange things in the pond in a way that keeps them away
from that filter, you shouldn't have any problems. My pre-filter is far away
from the sheltered areas, so I've never seen any fry get in it.