Old 17-05-2005, 08:53 AM
jane

On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:46:56 +0100, "david taylor"
wrote:

~I used to put chalk-calcium carbonate in the hole. Same effect but less risk
~of burning the plant.
~"Robert" wrote in message
~
~ "peebody" wrote in message
~ ...
~ :I have been searching for a product to dip my brassica plants in before
~ : planting ,as a prevention against clubroot.
~ :
~ : My elderly neighbour told me what he used but alas this has been taken
~ from
~ : the shelves and is amongst the banned garden chemicals.
~ :
~ : Can any newsgroup reader help with an alternative product for this
~ problem?
~ :
~ : Danita
~
~ You need to put a part handful of lime in the planting hole, no need for
~ anything more noxious
~

The RHS technique is to grow brassicas in modules, and plant out when
growing strongly at 5 leaf stage. That way they have a good fibrous
root system before hitting the limed soil (they have endemic club root
at Wisley) and judging by the size of their plants, it works...

--
jane

Mark Twain