Old 10-05-2005, 03:15 PM
peebody

Default Clubroot in Brassicas

I have been searching for a product to dip my brassica plants in before
planting ,as a prevention against clubroot.

My elderly neighbour told me what he used but alas this has been taken from
the shelves and is amongst the banned garden chemicals.

Can any newsgroup reader help with an alternative product for this problem?

Danita

Old 10-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Robert

:
: My elderly neighbour told me what he used but alas this has been taken
from
: the shelves and is amongst the banned garden chemicals.
:
: Can any newsgroup reader help with an alternative product for this
problem?
:
: Danita

You need to put a part handful of lime in the planting hole, no need for
anything more noxious

Old 16-05-2005, 09:46 PM
david taylor

I used to put chalk-calcium carbonate in the hole. Same effect but less risk
of burning the plant.

Old 17-05-2005, 08:53 AM
jane

On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:46:56 +0100, "david taylor"
wrote:

~I used to put chalk-calcium carbonate in the hole. Same effect but less risk
~of burning the plant.
~"Robert" wrote in message
~
~ "peebody" wrote in message
~ ...
~ :I have been searching for a product to dip my brassica plants in before
~ : planting ,as a prevention against clubroot.
~ :
~ : My elderly neighbour told me what he used but alas this has been taken
~ from
~ : the shelves and is amongst the banned garden chemicals.
~ :
~ : Can any newsgroup reader help with an alternative product for this
~ problem?
~ :
~ : Danita
~
~ You need to put a part handful of lime in the planting hole, no need for
~ anything more noxious
~

The RHS technique is to grow brassicas in modules, and plant out when
growing strongly at 5 leaf stage. That way they have a good fibrous
root system before hitting the limed soil (they have endemic club root
at Wisley) and judging by the size of their plants, it works...

--
jane

Mark Twain