Old 18-05-2005, 03:03 PM
JoeT

"Dwayne" wrote in message
I am renting an aerator next week and plan on overseeding my lawn. My
question is that I have a lot of weeds and dandilions in my yard. Should
I overseed first and then wait a month or two and put weed control on the
lawn or should I put weed control on first and then wait the appropriate
time and then overseed? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Dwayne

Depends where you're located I'd think. In most areas of the US it's
probably a bit late in the season to overseed and get decent results without
a ton of watering since summer is about to bear down on us. If that's true
where you are you'd probably be better served dealing with the weeds for
now. Aerating probably wouldn't hurt ya either way but most get better
results aerating and overseeding in the early fall or even very early spring
when the grass has time to get established during cooler weather. As always
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about this. lol

If you overseed it would be best to wait until the new grass is well
established before applying any weed controls. Otherwise you run the risk of
killing off the new grass. On the other hand if you overseed too soon after
applying weed control the new seed may not even germinate.