Old 18-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Dwayne

Default overseeding and weeds

I am renting an aerator next week and plan on overseeding my lawn. My
question is that I have a lot of weeds and dandilions in my yard. Should I
overseed first and then wait a month or two and put weed control on the lawn
or should I put weed control on first and then wait the appropriate time and
then overseed? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Dwayne

Old 18-05-2005, 01:36 PM

You didn't say where you're located, but for most of the US, now is not
the time to be seeding. I'd deal with the weeds, fertilize, adjust PH,
aerate, etc now. Then in early Sept I'd do the reseeding with a slice
seeder. Fall is the best time to seed, followed by early spring.
You're outside both those windows now, which means higher temps and
more weed competition, both of which make it difficult to establish new
seed.

Old 18-05-2005, 03:03 PM
JoeT

"Dwayne" wrote in message
I am renting an aerator next week and plan on overseeding my lawn. My
question is that I have a lot of weeds and dandilions in my yard. Should
I overseed first and then wait a month or two and put weed control on the
lawn or should I put weed control on first and then wait the appropriate
time and then overseed? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Dwayne

Depends where you're located I'd think. In most areas of the US it's
probably a bit late in the season to overseed and get decent results without
a ton of watering since summer is about to bear down on us. If that's true
where you are you'd probably be better served dealing with the weeds for
now. Aerating probably wouldn't hurt ya either way but most get better
results aerating and overseeding in the early fall or even very early spring
when the grass has time to get established during cooler weather. As always
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about this. lol

If you overseed it would be best to wait until the new grass is well
established before applying any weed controls. Otherwise you run the risk of
killing off the new grass. On the other hand if you overseed too soon after
applying weed control the new seed may not even germinate.

Old 18-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Dwayne

Thanks for the advice, I am in upstate NY. I live in a very rural area and
for the first time I have access to an aerator that I don't have to travel
100 miles to get. I guess I will aerate and battle the weeds for now and
take your advice on either seeding this fall or next spring. There are a
few areas that I will try to get growing but they are relativley small. I
bought the house a few years ago and just haven't had the time to put into
the lawn but it is more weeds than grass at this point.

Old 18-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Heidi the Horrible

"Dwayne" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice, I am in upstate NY. I live in a very rural area
and for the first time I have access to an aerator that I don't have to
travel 100 miles to get. I guess I will aerate and battle the weeds for
now and take your advice on either seeding this fall or next spring.
There are a few areas that I will try to get growing but they are
relativley small. I bought the house a few years ago and just haven't had
the time to put into the lawn but it is more weeds than grass at this
point.

I think you can still seed in upstate NY if you do it soon, esp if you are
above 1000 ft in elevation and don't mind occassional sprinkler dragging.

You might nuke the really bad weed areas with roundup and just kill the
existing grass (collateral damage). You can roundup today and seed
tomorrow. Actually, the farmers near me kill and seed at the same time.

If the weeds aren't too bad, then overseed now and weed kill carefully
during a cool stretch in summer and overseed thin spots in Sept.

My $.02 worth.

HtH

Old 18-05-2005, 03:41 PM
William W. Plummer

Dwayne wrote:

I am renting an aerator next week and plan on overseeding my lawn. My
question is that I have a lot of weeds and dandilions in my yard. Should I
overseed first and then wait a month or two and put weed control on the lawn
or should I put weed control on first and then wait the appropriate time and
then overseed? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Your lawn must be very flat for a dethatcher-slice seeder to work.
Rolling with a typical rented roller will not make it level enough.
Old 18-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Dwayne

Thanks, I think I will go ahead while I have the time and aerator available.
I will just seed the worst spots and battle the weeds for the summer. Maybe
overseed in the fall. Thanks for all your help.

Old 18-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Steveo

"Dwayne" wrote:
I am renting an aerator next week and plan on overseeding my lawn.
My question is that I have a lot of weeds and dandilions in my yard.
Should I overseed first and then wait a month or two and put weed control
on the lawn or should I put weed control on first and then wait the
appropriate time and then overseed? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Dwayne

I'd seed first since broadleaf weed control ain't the best thing to apply
before you seed. You're getting a late start, depending on where you live.
Old 18-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Steveo

"Dwayne" wrote:
Thanks for the advice, I am in upstate NY. I live in a very rural area
and for the first time I have access to an aerator that I don't have to
travel 100 miles to get. I guess I will aerate and battle the weeds for
now and take your advice on either seeding this fall or next spring.
There are a few areas that I will try to get growing but they are
relativley small. I bought the house a few years ago and just haven't
had the time to put into the lawn but it is more weeds than grass at this
point.

You'd be better off renting a slice seeder for your job, instead of an
aerator when you're ready to git er dun. You can aerate first before
slice seeding if you really want to give it a running start, but the
slice seeder will increase your germination much more than an aerator.