Old 07-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Alas poor Elaeagnus?

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message

Last summer we planted six Elaeagnus Pungens Maculata as part of the
evergreen section of our hedge. They have been doing very well, but
in the recent high winds a large section of one of them was broken
off. We've temporarily stuck this in water, but can we plant it out?
Should we take cuttings (how?!) or plant it as it is? The piece
that's broken off is about 18 inches high and the stem is about as
thick as my little finger, and it also has a heel, if that's any help.

Advice would be appreciated!
Sally in Shropshire, UK

Make cuttings about 6" long with a node at the base and set of buds at the
top, reduce leaf size a bit if required, hormone rooting powder and bottom
heat if you have it and keep fingers crossed as its a bit early!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk