Old 06-02-2003, 07:58 PM
Sally Thompson

Default Alas poor Elaeagnus?

Last summer we planted six Elaeagnus Pungens Maculata as part of the
evergreen section of our hedge. They have been doing very well, but
in the recent high winds a large section of one of them was broken
off. We've temporarily stuck this in water, but can we plant it out?
Should we take cuttings (how?!) or plant it as it is? The piece
that's broken off is about 18 inches high and the stem is about as
thick as my little finger, and it also has a heel, if that's any help.

Advice would be appreciated!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Remove the LIZARD to email reply
Old 07-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message

Last summer we planted six Elaeagnus Pungens Maculata as part of the
evergreen section of our hedge. They have been doing very well, but
in the recent high winds a large section of one of them was broken
off. We've temporarily stuck this in water, but can we plant it out?
Should we take cuttings (how?!) or plant it as it is? The piece
that's broken off is about 18 inches high and the stem is about as
thick as my little finger, and it also has a heel, if that's any help.

Advice would be appreciated!
Sally in Shropshire, UK

Make cuttings about 6" long with a node at the base and set of buds at the
top, reduce leaf size a bit if required, hormone rooting powder and bottom
heat if you have it and keep fingers crossed as its a bit early!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 07-02-2003, 09:02 PM
Sally Thompson

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message

Last summer we planted six Elaeagnus Pungens Maculata as part of the
evergreen section of our hedge. They have been doing very well, but
in the recent high winds a large section of one of them was broken
off. We've temporarily stuck this in water, but can we plant it out?
Should we take cuttings (how?!) or plant it as it is? The piece
that's broken off is about 18 inches high and the stem is about as
thick as my little finger, and it also has a heel, if that's any help.

Advice would be appreciated!

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:38:50 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

Make cuttings about 6" long with a node at the base and set of buds at the
top, reduce leaf size a bit if required, hormone rooting powder and bottom
heat if you have it and keep fingers crossed as its a bit early!

and On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:03:05 GMT, Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson
wrote:

I'm no expert on cuttings but I think you're unlikely to succeed. As far
as I understand it, you can take hardwood cuttings of deciduous shrubs
at this time of the year when they have no leaves to support, but that
evergreens are best in late summer and then just little ones. Heel is
good but about 4" would be more like it with the base just beginning to
go woody - rather than really woody as yours presumably is.
Others will confirm or say differently
Janet G

Thanks Charlie and Janet. We'll take some small cuttings as suggested
and see what happens. Can't do any harm, anyway, and fingers will be
firmly crossed as suggested!

Old 07-02-2003, 11:48 PM
tim

It depends on how healthy your broken piece is.
I suggest you try and see. What have you got to loose.
Take nodal cuttings, about six inches. Remove all but one pair of leaves.
Use rooting powder and place the cutting into an open textured compost with
plenty of grit.
Push the cutting in so as to include more than one node if possible. Cover
the pot with a polythene bag and keep it somewher warm but out of direct
sunlight. Check every now then that the compost remains moist but not over
wet. (You are attempting to root the cutting befor it rots.)
The night time temperatures are the most important and you must try to keep
them around 18 to 20 degrees c.
If you have the heel left over you can make a separate cutting from this .
Clean up the heel using a rasor blade, dip in rooting powder and push into
peat as above.

Hope you are successful.

Old 09-02-2003, 04:49 PM
Sally Thompson

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 23:48:39 -0000, "tim" wrote:

(re-arranged)
[...]

Thanks for the advice Tim. Yes, as you say we have nothing to lose -
and at least the lower part of the shrub is still okay. We'll give it
a go.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Remove the LIZARD to email reply

Img-1199-Alas, not a flower either Stinkweed[_3_] Garden Photos 2 25-06-2014 03:19 AM
Elaeagnus - are the berries poisonous? Earth Mother United Kingdom 4 09-04-2009 10:40 AM
Alas poor plum tree Ang United Kingdom 3 11-04-2006 09:56 AM
[IBC] Washington DC meet - ALAS Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 02-05-2005 05:09 PM
[IBC] Elaeagnus Commutata (Silverberry) Tosh Metzger Bonsai 1 22-02-2003 12:39 PM