Old 18-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Dwayne

Thanks for the advice, I am in upstate NY. I live in a very rural area and
for the first time I have access to an aerator that I don't have to travel
100 miles to get. I guess I will aerate and battle the weeds for now and
take your advice on either seeding this fall or next spring. There are a
few areas that I will try to get growing but they are relativley small. I
bought the house a few years ago and just haven't had the time to put into
the lawn but it is more weeds than grass at this point.

"JoeT" noway@today wrote in message

"Dwayne" wrote in message
I am renting an aerator next week and plan on overseeding my lawn. My
question is that I have a lot of weeds and dandilions in my yard. Should
I overseed first and then wait a month or two and put weed control on the
lawn or should I put weed control on first and then wait the appropriate
time and then overseed? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Dwayne

Depends where you're located I'd think. In most areas of the US it's
probably a bit late in the season to overseed and get decent results
without a ton of watering since summer is about to bear down on us. If
that's true where you are you'd probably be better served dealing with the
weeds for now. Aerating probably wouldn't hurt ya either way but most get
better results aerating and overseeding in the early fall or even very
early spring when the grass has time to get established during cooler
weather. As always I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about
this. lol

If you overseed it would be best to wait until the new grass is well
established before applying any weed controls. Otherwise you run the risk
of killing off the new grass. On the other hand if you overseed too soon
after applying weed control the new seed may not even germinate.