Old 06-02-2003, 07:43 AM
sacha

Default Sarcococca

in article , Trevor Appleton at
wrote on 5/2/03 10:42 pm:

Is it me?

Scent is one of my main interests in the garden, and especially winter
scent. My all time favourite plant is my 7 year old Daphne bholua
'Darjeeling' now 6ft high by 4 ft spread which I can smell from 20 yards
even when its minus 6 outside. Its been flowering its socks off for six
weeks now.

It's a wonderful shrub if you have the space. Ours was quite early this
year and yes, it perfumes a large area of the garden very sweetly.

But Sarcocca? I find the smell absolutely obnoxious. To me it smells like a
plastic bottle that has been left on a red hot hob.

LOL!

BTW have tried for several years to grow Lonicera fragrantissima and L.
purpusii. The bushes grow to 4ft x 4ft, but have a pathetic number of
flowers, and I'll probably give up and throw them away.

We have L. purpusii outside our front door. I can't get that excited about
it, either but Ray loves it, so........

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk