Old 18-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Simon

Default Help requested with afflicted Holly trees

Hello -

I planted some small Holly trees a few years ago, hoping they would grow
into screening trees that would be colourful in winter, but they have not
flourished. Their latest affliction is something that is causing brown spots
to appear on their leaves, which then die and fall off. Pictures at
http://www.sgurr.co.uk/misc/unwell_holly_1.jpg
http://www.sgurr.co.uk/misc/unwell_holly_2.jpg
http://www.sgurr.co.uk/misc/unwell_holly_3.jpg
Am I right in thinking this is some kind of fungal infection?
I tried spraying a few weeks ago with a spray containing Myclobutanil, but
it doesn't seem to have helped.
There are a few ants on the trees, but no signs of hostile insects that I
can see.
I apply Growmore a couple of times each year.
The location is fairly shady and well drained. Is too much watering or too
little likely to be a factor?

Any advice would be appreciated - if I can't get them to grow soon I may
remove them and plant Pyracntha, which seems to love this particular
location.

Thanks,

Simon