Old 19-05-2005, 01:27 AM
Travis

Richard wrote:
I myself have ordered from them, and lost $36. Never received the
plants, never received my money back. They took the funds out on
my credit card but never put it back. I'm on may garden lists and
forums. In 6 months I've seen 4 other complaints. I cannot help it
that the other person's did not choose to file a complaint with the
BBS or deal with it.

Look, I'm just trying to warn people. I really don't care whether
you believe me or not. That is your choice. Go ahead order from
them. See what happens. But don't say I didn't warn you.

So you put the charge in dispute and got your money back right?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

On Wed, 18 May 2005 08:39:49 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

Howdy Richard.
I think you should be specific. WHY are you so peevish against this
Winchester Indiana company? Generic "warnings" from a chap who has
no posting history could for all we can tell be nothing but a
disgruntled ex-employee & don't automatically carry a lot of
weight, but if you've something specific I'm sure anyone who might
be interested in Rich Farm Garden's products would appreciate
being warned off. You can't be sued for slander if you're telling
the truth, so no reason to hide.

If it's so important to you to warn people away from them, why
code it for no-archive? Will the warning no longer apply two weeks
from now? I've included the whole post sans no-archive code below,
for archive purposes.

Since I didn't know if you were a reliable witness or not, I did a
couple on-line searches of my own. If the company had been highly
rated elsewhere I wanted to find out. But as it turns out, your
warning looks entirely sustainable.

Their website does make them look a bit white trash posting
amateurish snapshots of their grossly cluttered cruddy
uninteresting barn as a wacky symbol of company pride -- if that's
where they store the seeds they sell I'd worry about contamination
-- that whole "barn tour" thing makes them look a bit nutty since
it gives the impression that they're not a real business at all.
Personally I wouldn't've trusted them just on the basis of their
website being so damned ugly.

You're right that the Indiana Better Business Bureau doesn't think
highly of them, though I wonder why you didn't yourself post the
link or quote the BBB to help substantiate your own credibility:

"Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record
with the Bureau due to unanswered complaints. The Bureau has
requested basic information from this company. The company has
declined to provide this information. Without this, the Bureau may
not have current information concerning such things as the
company's management or its nature of business."

BBB also notes "We are currently attempting to develop information
on this company." So I trust you've sent something rather more
specific to
to help fill out their file -- you
shouldn't complain to them anonymously though.

Rich Farm Gardens has no complaints at the very useful Garden
Watchdog at davesgarden.com, except one person who felt their
prices were too high for seeds (but bought them anyway so I guess
theprice was not TOO too high). Garden Watchdog is a good source
of this kind of information, but customers can't file praise OR
complaints if the company actually has no customers.

Gardenweb.com has one complaint in the Forums: "I placed an order
with them early in January. They never came. I emailed them in
March and they responded telling me my seeds would be shipped in
March. I never received any. I have emailed them twice since then
politely asking when my seeds would be shipped and have not
received any response."

-paghat the ratgirl

From: Richard
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Bad mail order company...buyer beware
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 06:15:30 -0700
http://www.nntpcache.org/)

A mail order company that everyone should be aware of here, and not
use. That company is http://www.richfarmgarden.com

I know several people who have lost money to this company already.
You can read about them also, with a negative rating, on the
Indiana Better Business Bureau website.

Richard