Old 19-05-2005, 05:10 AM
Kathy

"Snooze" wrote in message
.. .

"JamesG" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mike,
I am not familiar with cotton batting, but if it is made with cotton
then it would rot out quickly. I tried lava rocks also but they clog
up more than pot scrubbers and are heavier. The surface area for
bacteria is quickly used up and clogged.

James

I suspect the previous poster meant polyester batting. You can buy it from
fish stores, but it's much cheaper if you buy the same stuff from a fabric
store. It's sold as pillow and quilt insulation material.

-S
You can get square pillow forms that are all fiber, solid blocks, and they
work great. You get them just a bit bigger than your bucket is round, and
cut the corners off. I set them in my oak barrel and have the water come
up through them, even put one in the Tetra filter, they clean out a lot of
dirt and algae. But they are a bit heavy when wet! You can hose them off
just like you do the furnace filters.They are either 2 or 4 inches thick,
depending on the size, and should last at least a full season, if not
longer depending where you live. I found some at JoAnn's here in AZ, you
might try Hancock Fabricks, Ben Franklin if it is a craft store in your
area, or Hobby Lobby? Can't think of any other stores off hand. It helped
clear my pond, that and waiting it out, like all the people here told me I
had to do. Thanks again guys and gals. Your help is really great. Kathy AZ