Old 17-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Bowhunter

Default 5 gallon bucket for Biofilter?

I'm thinking about making my own biofilter for my 450 gallon pond.
Would a 5 gallon bucket be large enough? I only have a small yard and
the pond takes up most of the area. I would hate to have a big 50
gallon container sitting in the yard next to my pond.
Also what filter media should I use that would be least expensive but
effective?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 18-05-2005, 04:41 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Could you dig the 55 gal into the ground? It would increase the
efficiency as compared to a 5 gal bucket.

For mechanical filter material, think of blue furnace filters. Lots of
surface for bacteria as well as algae and physical junk. Lots of plans
in various locations...try Googling for 'pond filter' or try deja vu.

Plants too. Hyacinth, for instance.

Old 18-05-2005, 05:08 AM
cat daddy

"Bowhunter" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm thinking about making my own biofilter for my 450 gallon pond.
Would a 5 gallon bucket be large enough? I only have a small yard and
the pond takes up most of the area. I would hate to have a big 50
gallon container sitting in the yard next to my pond.
Also what filter media should I use that would be least expensive but
effective?

Look through this stuff...

http://www.skippysstuff.com/index.html

THE WORLD FAMOUS SKIPPY FILTER
http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

Mini-Me Skip Jr. Biological Filter
http://www.skippysstuff.com/minime.htm
"Good for ponds up to about 750 gallons is our best guess."

Old 18-05-2005, 05:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

"Bowhunter" wrote in message
I'm thinking about making my own biofilter for my 450 gallon pond.
Would a 5 gallon bucket be large enough? I only have a small yard and
the pond takes up most of the area. I would hate to have a big 50
gallon container sitting in the yard next to my pond.
Also what filter media should I use that would be least expensive but
effective?

How about a fake flowerpot filter, more in the 20-30 gallon size? I have
pictures on my website under *My Filter* scroll down to the bottom of that
page to see the pics. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 18-05-2005, 02:27 PM
JamesG

I would recommend using those nylon pot scrubbers. I bought a lot of
them at Big Lots for 99 cents for a bag of 9 I think. I would say that
a five gallon bucket is probably big enough. Do you have plants in
your pond? I have a lot of plants (water hyacinth, water lettuce,
irises, horsetail, etc) in a pond that is a little smaller than yours.
I think the plants do most of the work. My filter is a mesh plant
basket containing scrubbers, and my pump. I cut up a plastic coke
bottle to maintain a clear path to the pump inlet. I topped the basket
with plastic gardening fabric.

Old 18-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Bowhunter

putting in a 55 gallon below surface is not an option for me. I think
I'll try a 30 gallon rubbermaid container for an above ground filter.
I like the pot scrubbers idea, but I also heard about using cotton
batting from the local walmart. Any other idea's?

Old 18-05-2005, 07:21 PM
JamesG

Mike,
I am not familiar with cotton batting, but if it is made with cotton
then it would rot out quickly. I tried lava rocks also but they clog
up more than pot scrubbers and are heavier. The surface area for
bacteria is quickly used up and clogged.

James

Old 19-05-2005, 04:01 AM
Snooze

"JamesG" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mike,
I am not familiar with cotton batting, but if it is made with cotton
then it would rot out quickly. I tried lava rocks also but they clog
up more than pot scrubbers and are heavier. The surface area for
bacteria is quickly used up and clogged.

James

I suspect the previous poster meant polyester batting. You can buy it from
fish stores, but it's much cheaper if you buy the same stuff from a fabric
store. It's sold as pillow and quilt insulation material.

-S

Old 19-05-2005, 05:10 AM
Kathy

"Snooze" wrote in message
.. .

"JamesG" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mike,
I am not familiar with cotton batting, but if it is made with cotton
then it would rot out quickly. I tried lava rocks also but they clog
up more than pot scrubbers and are heavier. The surface area for
bacteria is quickly used up and clogged.

James

I suspect the previous poster meant polyester batting. You can buy it from
fish stores, but it's much cheaper if you buy the same stuff from a fabric
store. It's sold as pillow and quilt insulation material.

-S
You can get square pillow forms that are all fiber, solid blocks, and they
work great. You get them just a bit bigger than your bucket is round, and
cut the corners off. I set them in my oak barrel and have the water come
up through them, even put one in the Tetra filter, they clean out a lot of
dirt and algae. But they are a bit heavy when wet! You can hose them off
just like you do the furnace filters.They are either 2 or 4 inches thick,
depending on the size, and should last at least a full season, if not
longer depending where you live. I found some at JoAnn's here in AZ, you
might try Hancock Fabricks, Ben Franklin if it is a craft store in your
area, or Hobby Lobby? Can't think of any other stores off hand. It helped
clear my pond, that and waiting it out, like all the people here told me I
had to do. Thanks again guys and gals. Your help is really great. Kathy AZ