Old 19-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Beau

On 18 May 2005 13:01:51 -0700, (Jim Lewis) wrote:

Beau wrote:
I don't have any decent nurseries where I live (Mobile Al. Zone 9)
that can provide good material for the less common trees. I'm hoping
for some unbiased opinions on mail order/online nurseries that have
treated you well.
Beau
Mobile Z9

What do you consider to be "less common" trees? And by
"nursery" do you mean "bonsai nursery?" Do the trees have
to be starters for bonsai? Potensai? Finished trees? Or
simply nursery stock.

Sorry about the vague "less common". I'd be happy with leads on any of
the items you mention.

If the latter, nine point five times out of ten you will do
better driving a hundred miles (even one way) to a nursery
than ordering a plant by mail. The tree will be bigger. It
will be healthier. AND, Y O U will have chosen the one you
want, not some unknown, minimum-wage, nursery employee who
may not have finished high school yet.

If you are looking for bonsai, potensai, or pre-bonsai, you
can do no better than selecting one of our sponsors at
www.internetbonsaiclub.org.

Thanks. I've begun to look at these.

But even then you should be able to spell out in some detail
what it is you want.

And, Like Alan, I have a hard time thinking there are no
good nurseries in the Mobile area. Tallahassee -- half the
size -- has 6 excellent nurseries, a dozen fair-to-good
nurseries, PLUS Home Depot and Lowes (and WalMart).

Most of what people call "nurseries" here are a couple hundred square
feet of poor quality, badly tended plants. The focus of these places
seems to be cheap trinkets, faux antiques, and "collectors figurines".

And, in addition, if you are humbly seeking our help it
certainly would behoove you to remove that worthless but
annoying-to-everyone "anti-spam" return address!

personal preference

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++