Old 18-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Beau

Default Online source for seedlings that you trust?

I don't have any decent nurseries where I live (Mobile Al. Zone 9)
that can provide good material for the less common trees. I'm hoping
for some unbiased opinions on mail order/online nurseries that have
treated you well.
Beau
Mobile Z9
Old 18-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Terry Robbins

On May 18, 2005, at 10:37, Beau wrote:

I don't have any decent nurseries where I live (Mobile Al. Zone 9)
that can provide good material for the less common trees. I'm hoping
for some unbiased opinions on mail order/online nurseries that have
treated you well.
Beau
Mobile Z9

Beau,

I have had excellent experience with Brent Walston at Evergreen
Gardenworks out in Lake County, California. I highly recommend them.

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/index.htm

Best Regards,
-Terry

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Alan Walker

That's surprising to hear. I thought Mobile had a particularly
large number of good nurseries. What happened? Has the economy
crashed on them, too?
Alan Walker

Old 18-05-2005, 07:39 PM
anton nijhuis

Just recieved my issue of Global Bonsai and Stone Collection, must say I am
very much impressed with the pictures and layout, the articles in Chinese
are a little difficult to read.
Definitely interested in obtaining future issues, will these be available
through BCI?
It is more a softcover book than a magazine, well worth the price!

Anton

Old 18-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Craig Cowing

On May 18, 2005, at 2:39 PM, anton nijhuis wrote:

Just recieved my issue of Global Bonsai and Stone Collection, must say
I am very much impressed with the pictures and layout, the articles in
Chinese are a little difficult to read.
Definitely interested in obtaining future issues, will these be
available through BCI?
It is more a softcover book than a magazine, well worth the price!

Anton

I'm looking forward to getting it. Didn't Alan Walker say that it would
be available at the BCI booth at the convention?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 18-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Jim Lewis

Beau wrote:
I don't have any decent nurseries where I live (Mobile Al. Zone 9)
that can provide good material for the less common trees. I'm hoping
for some unbiased opinions on mail order/online nurseries that have
treated you well.
Beau
Mobile Z9

What do you consider to be "less common" trees? And by
"nursery" do you mean "bonsai nursery?" Do the trees have
to be starters for bonsai? Potensai? Finished trees? Or
simply nursery stock.

If the latter, nine point five times out of ten you will do
better driving a hundred miles (even one way) to a nursery
than ordering a plant by mail. The tree will be bigger. It
will be healthier. AND, Y O U will have chosen the one you
want, not some unknown, minimum-wage, nursery employee who
may not have finished high school yet.

If you are looking for bonsai, potensai, or pre-bonsai, you
can do no better than selecting one of our sponsors at
www.internetbonsaiclub.org.

But even then you should be able to spell out in some detail
what it is you want.

And, Like Alan, I have a hard time thinking there are no
good nurseries in the Mobile area. Tallahassee -- half the
size -- has 6 excellent nurseries, a dozen fair-to-good
nurseries, PLUS Home Depot and Lowes (and WalMart).

And, in addition, if you are humbly seeking our help it
certainly would behoove you to remove that worthless but
annoying-to-everyone "anti-spam" return address!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Alan Walker

Thanks, Anton. I'm pretty proud of it!
Yes, Craig, BCI hopes to have it available for sale at
the convention. However, the magazines have not yet arrived. If
you are familiar with the expression, a slow boat from China,
then you understand the angst we are going through awaiting the
shipment. There will definitely be sample copies to view there,
but we may wind up having to take orders and mailing them out
later. Ideally we'll be able to save you and us the hassle and
expense of individual mailings.
The board will be reviewing the situation and setting up
a subscription policy and terms next Friday in DC, so by the time
the convention opens, we should have the information available at
the BCI desk.
I'm really looking forward to seeing so many of you guys
there. Please come up and introduce yourselves!

Alan Walker

Just received my issue of Global Bonsai and Stone Collection,

Old 19-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Beau

Most of our nurseries grow annuals and the overused perennials that
come and go in style. They are strictly wholesale and reply that they
don't have the time to allow individuals to pick and choose. I
certainly don't blame them considering the sheer size of their
operations.
Beau

************************************************* *******************************

Old 19-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Beau

On 18 May 2005 13:01:51 -0700, (Jim Lewis) wrote:

Beau wrote:
I don't have any decent nurseries where I live (Mobile Al. Zone 9)
that can provide good material for the less common trees. I'm hoping
for some unbiased opinions on mail order/online nurseries that have
treated you well.
Beau
Mobile Z9

What do you consider to be "less common" trees? And by
"nursery" do you mean "bonsai nursery?" Do the trees have
to be starters for bonsai? Potensai? Finished trees? Or
simply nursery stock.

Sorry about the vague "less common". I'd be happy with leads on any of
the items you mention.

If the latter, nine point five times out of ten you will do
better driving a hundred miles (even one way) to a nursery
than ordering a plant by mail. The tree will be bigger. It
will be healthier. AND, Y O U will have chosen the one you
want, not some unknown, minimum-wage, nursery employee who
may not have finished high school yet.

If you are looking for bonsai, potensai, or pre-bonsai, you
can do no better than selecting one of our sponsors at
www.internetbonsaiclub.org.

Thanks. I've begun to look at these.

But even then you should be able to spell out in some detail
what it is you want.

And, Like Alan, I have a hard time thinking there are no
good nurseries in the Mobile area. Tallahassee -- half the
size -- has 6 excellent nurseries, a dozen fair-to-good
nurseries, PLUS Home Depot and Lowes (and WalMart).

Most of what people call "nurseries" here are a couple hundred square
feet of poor quality, badly tended plants. The focus of these places
seems to be cheap trinkets, faux antiques, and "collectors figurines".

And, in addition, if you are humbly seeking our help it
certainly would behoove you to remove that worthless but
annoying-to-everyone "anti-spam" return address!

personal preference