Old 20-05-2005, 02:45 AM
bob

Edmond Cormier wrote:
If one makes a Search: Diatomite and silicosis, one finds numerous

warnings
by different U.S. govt. agencies on the dangers of diatomite and
diatomaceous earth.Some people use diatomaceous earth as a bug killer

thinking that it is not dangerous, like chemical pesticides. Masks,

gloves
and body covering are needed. Even workers handling bags of perlite

are
required to wear masks.
Ed Cormier

Ed;
Diatomaceous earth is the skelital remains of diatoms. The diatoms are
minute sea creatures that lived melenia ago, at the bottom of the then
food chain and their skelital remains settled into what is now
diatomacious deposits. This is also known as Fullers earth and is used
extenivly in the cosmetics industry and in phrmaceuticals as a
filler.It is also used in the dry cleaning business to aide in the
removal of stains. I was never aware of health a warinig regarding this
product. Regarding "silicosis" which can be an invasive element in lung
disesase, I can see the reason for health warnings.
All things being said, I can see using diatomacious earth as a means of
retaining water in a potting medium, but a form of moss (sphagnum)
would be well considered.
bob