Old 06-02-2003, 09:14 PM
david

Default Mloehills and Microwaves

(just can't bear to think that a worm gets nuked in the microwave).......
No problem with that,....... the moles will have all the worms but they
don't eat seeds.
The moles have provided nice loose soil, doesn't need to be sieved, is ready
for use.

The reason for the Microwave is price, with Tesco now selling a microwave
for under £40. it is much cheaper than a soil sterilizer, and though it only
does small quantities it is miles cheaper.
My old sterilizer....bought years ago was 3Kw and would do a bucket full in
about 25 mins., and cost me around £40 many years ago. Don't know today's
price.
If you can "Cook" 2 litres of soil every 15 mins in a 800w microwave its
quite cost effective. For small quantities of compost, But only sterilise
the soil, not the peat or sand etc.
Mind you could be a good way to zap Vine weevil eggs and grubs.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries