Old 05-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Annabel

Default Mloehills and Microwaves

"david" wrote in message
Have finally got round to using my Microwave to sterilise some soil

from
molehills to use in potting compost.
Has anyone else tried this. just wondering on cooking time.

--
David Hill

15 mins and I love the smell but the rest of the family hate it.

Art

Old 06-02-2003, 05:08 PM
Alison

"david" wrote in message
Have finally got round to using my Microwave to sterilise some soil from
molehills to use in potting compost.
Has anyone else tried this. just wondering on cooking time.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

But what about all the nice earthy things that will get cooked also? If a
mole has brought this earth up from way below, what might need to be
sterilised out of it? Not weed seeds anyway. I think that moles only like
good earth so presumably that balance between goodies and baddies is under
control already.... but I'm keen to learn in case I'm missing a trick (just
can't bear to think that a worm gets nuked in the microwave)

--A

Old 06-02-2003, 05:39 PM
Annabel

Have finally got round to using my Microwave to sterilise some soil

from
molehills to use in potting compost.
Has anyone else tried this. just wondering on cooking time.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

But what about all the nice earthy things that will get cooked also?

If a
mole has brought this earth up from way below,

Just below the surface

what might need to besterilised out of it? Not weed seeds anyway.

Weed seeds certainly, fungal spores, insect etc pests.

think that moles only like good earth so presumably that balance

between goodies
and baddies is under control already.... but I'm keen to learn in case

I'm missing a trick (just can't bear to think that a worm gets nuked
in the microwave)

No different than chemical or steam sterilisation as has been done to
any soil that is added to proprietary compost

Bell

Old 06-02-2003, 09:14 PM
david

(just can't bear to think that a worm gets nuked in the microwave).......
No problem with that,....... the moles will have all the worms but they
don't eat seeds.
The moles have provided nice loose soil, doesn't need to be sieved, is ready
for use.

The reason for the Microwave is price, with Tesco now selling a microwave
for under £40. it is much cheaper than a soil sterilizer, and though it only
does small quantities it is miles cheaper.
My old sterilizer....bought years ago was 3Kw and would do a bucket full in
about 25 mins., and cost me around £40 many years ago. Don't know today's
price.
If you can "Cook" 2 litres of soil every 15 mins in a 800w microwave its
quite cost effective. For small quantities of compost, But only sterilise
the soil, not the peat or sand etc.
Mind you could be a good way to zap Vine weevil eggs and grubs.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries