Old 07-02-2003, 11:10 PM
tim

Default Seeds

Hi, Frezzing seeds does not always keep viability, a lot depends on your
drying method and where the seed comes from. Oven drying can take to long
and any moisture left in the seed even the smallest amount can cause damage
during the freezing process.
On the plus side if you were extremely lucky this might result in a new
strain. (doubtful however).
For hardy and half hardy crops seeds can be kept in paper bags in a dark
place in the dry.
"Derryl Killan" wrote in message
a...
Hi Store your seeds in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge.

This should keep the viability high.

Derryl in Calgary, Alberta

I've just been out and bought my vegetable seeds for this year and am
wondering why seeds such as lettuce come in packs of 2000. I'm never

going
to use that many. Is it just a consipiracy to force us to pay more?

Martin

It doesn't by any chance say "growers pack" on the packet? I fell for

this
with Autumn king carrots last year, and I reckon they should do for an

awful
lot of autumns. In this vein, does anyone know how long they're likely

be
viable? Or any tips to make them last the maximum time? Would freezing

them
help?

Steve