Old 20-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I would like to know if there is any good web site that I can use to narrow down selection of plants by various plant-characteristics.

I have a couple gardening books that have a list of plants described in good details. But they are all sorted by their Latin names. I would prefer that I can have an option to filter the list of plants and then sort the list by various criteria from the most important to the least.

The kind of plant characteristics that I would like to be able to query on a
- Annual, perennial, or biannual
- Zone requirement
- Sun requirement
- Water requirement
- Soil requirement
- Height and width
- Shape of the plant
- Flower color
- Blooming season
....etc

Any suggestion? Thanks.

Jay Chan
Hi Jay,

You don't say where you live so a couple of these may not fit your hardiness zone if you are in the US. Here's what I have.
http://www.hort.uconn.edu:591/search.html
http://bestplants.chicago-botanic.org/query_simple.htm
http://www.perennials.com/
http://www.jdvservices.com/Vgardens/plantindex.html
http://www.main.nc.us/naturenotebook/plantindex.html
http://www.epicplants.com/enter.html
http://hcs.osu.edu/plantfacts/Plant/
http://www.qualitygroundcovers.com/specific.htm
http://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/habitats.php

These are just to look at color:
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/...leryindex.html
http://www.colorwithplants.com/main.htm

Limited selection of plants, but if you're in a colder zone of 4 to 1 it could be helpful.
http://www.homestore.com/HomeGarden/...?poe=homestore

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.