Old 21-05-2005, 01:44 AM
Kira Dirlik

On Fri, 20 May 2005 20:53:36 GMT, "Raleighgirl"
wrote:

OMG, I could chew nails. My hubbie was digging a trench and hit
every tree in sight.
"Well, it's just a little nick" he says. Grrrrrrrrr. More like
gashes and torn bark.
What should I do? I read somewhere that the black paint stuff is
a bunch of
hooey. I'm afraid of bugs and wasps and borers, o my! Advice
please????
Raleighgirl

I have a very large ash in my yard that the builders really wounded
severely (a 4 foot vertical by 1 foot horizontal gash) 10 years ago.
In the last ten years it has healed itself. It is amazing how the
scar tissue has just slowly covered it up. I didn't do anything. So
maybe your trees will do okay by themselves. Also tulip poplars
that had too much dirt mounded up from the original soil level.
Noticed big open sores starting on the trunks. Removed the extra dirt
(once I learned how that kills trees), and those mended over, too. So
hang in there.
Kira