Old 20-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Raleighgirl

Default Grrrrrrr, nicked up trees

OMG, I could chew nails. My hubbie was digging a trench and hit
every tree in sight.
"Well, it's just a little nick" he says. Grrrrrrrrr. More like
gashes and torn bark.
What should I do? I read somewhere that the black paint stuff is
a bunch of
hooey. I'm afraid of bugs and wasps and borers, o my! Advice
please????
Raleighgirl

Old 21-05-2005, 01:44 AM
Kira Dirlik

On Fri, 20 May 2005 20:53:36 GMT, "Raleighgirl"
wrote:

OMG, I could chew nails. My hubbie was digging a trench and hit
every tree in sight.
"Well, it's just a little nick" he says. Grrrrrrrrr. More like
gashes and torn bark.
What should I do? I read somewhere that the black paint stuff is
a bunch of
hooey. I'm afraid of bugs and wasps and borers, o my! Advice
please????
Raleighgirl

I have a very large ash in my yard that the builders really wounded
severely (a 4 foot vertical by 1 foot horizontal gash) 10 years ago.
In the last ten years it has healed itself. It is amazing how the
scar tissue has just slowly covered it up. I didn't do anything. So
maybe your trees will do okay by themselves. Also tulip poplars
that had too much dirt mounded up from the original soil level.
Noticed big open sores starting on the trunks. Removed the extra dirt
(once I learned how that kills trees), and those mended over, too. So
hang in there.
Kira
Old 21-05-2005, 02:50 AM
Raleighgirl

"Kira Dirlik" !! wrote in message
| On Fri, 20 May 2005 20:53:36 GMT, "Raleighgirl"
| wrote:
|
| OMG, I could chew nails. My hubbie was digging a trench and
hit
| every tree in sight.
| "Well, it's just a little nick" he says. Grrrrrrrrr. More
like
| gashes and torn bark.
| What should I do? I read somewhere that the black paint stuff
is
| a bunch of
| hooey. I'm afraid of bugs and wasps and borers, o my! Advice
| please????
| Raleighgirl
|

| I have a very large ash in my yard that the builders really
wounded
| severely (a 4 foot vertical by 1 foot horizontal gash) 10
years ago.
| In the last ten years it has healed itself. It is amazing how
the
| scar tissue has just slowly covered it up. I didn't do
anything. So
| maybe your trees will do okay by themselves. Also tulip
poplars
| that had too much dirt mounded up from the original soil level.
| Noticed big open sores starting on the trunks. Removed the
extra dirt
| (once I learned how that kills trees), and those mended over,
too. So
| hang in there.
| Kira

That's great news Kira, thanks. We've lost so many trees from
one insect or another that I'm determined not to lose more! I
agree with
a friend who said I should paint my hubbie with the black stuff
so he'll
be more careful with his tractor next time.

Old 21-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Dwayne

Rather than getting into trouble with your hubby and him making you sleep on
the couch, (Chuckle, chuckle, we really know he is the one on the couch.)
you might try what my wife did. She wrapped the bottom foot of all the
trees with pieces of an old bath towel. That protected them from my lack of
weed eating skills.

Dwayne

. com...

Old 23-05-2005, 01:30 AM
bud

Here is a thing that ive done to some trees that are prone to disease such
as dogwood. when you wound them just melt a little bees was and paint it
over the tear/gouge. that seals it but it's still natural.