Old 21-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Chemical weed killing under conifer hedging?

Chris Wilson wrote:
We have a 100 yard conifer hedge with post and rail fencing tight
against it on the outside. The fence has 1/2 inch wire mesh stapled
along its inside, to keep the ornamental birds we keep in. This

makes
weeding a laborious task, as you can only reach under from one

side.
Is there a sprayable weed killer available that will not harm the
hedge? We have grass growing virtually to the base of the hedge,

but
we don't mind if the very edge of the lawn suffers slightly!

A similar question applies to the beech hedge down another similar
sized boundary.

If you've no objection to using glyphosate ("Roundup" etc), it won't
do the slightest harm to the hedge as long as none of the spray
touches the leaves. "Coated" leaves such as those of conifers aren't
as vulnerable as deciduous ones, anyhow. I hate to say this, as I
prefer not to use sprays, but, in honesty, a few drops on even the
beech hedge won't make a heck of a difference.

You can protect the grass by covering it with plastic sheet while you
spray. It's important to wait for a still day, of course, as spray
drift can make your plants grow all funny even if they aren't killed,
and I'd rather not even think about what it might do in your lungs or
the pores of your skin. It took thousands of years before people
realised what familiar simple things like lead compounds could do to
you.

If you want to stick to less complex chemicals, a light attack on
weeds with sodium chlorate doesn't seem to do any harm to nearby
trees, but others may disagree, and the suggestion comes without
warranty, express or implied!

--
Mike.