Old 22-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Baine Carruthers

Wes

I think most of the "written word" on plant root depths is going to be
vague. The soil's properties probably have the most to do with root depth.
I would say that the best way to determine root depth is to pull a core
sample for positive verification. I guess the burden of proof is on the
plaintiff (perhaps you). Is the town of Cary is in such dire financial
straits that it cannot afford to install pipe that is not susceptable to
azalea root damage? : )

--
Baine

wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone know where I can find root depth information on Azealas,
Camillas, Red Bud, Crepe Myrtle, Shrub Hollies, Blueberries, and Oak
Leaf Hydrangeas spefically.

After 25 years the Town of Cary thinks some of my azealeas might some
day clog the sewerline. Funny they did not mention it 5 years ago on
that clearing project. I know the lines are 5 or more feet deep so if
I can find some documentation on how deep these plants roots go, I may
have a chance of saving them. I think most of these are shallow rooted.

There have been no clogs that I am aware of except where vandals filled
up a manhole with rocks, limbbs and dirt and that was down stream of me
at least a hundred yards. They solved the problem by bolting the man
hole covers down.

There are easements on my property and I was aware of that. I figured
the lines would last 25-50 years and I was prepared to lose the plants
if the lines had to be totally replaced, but I will fight an ordinance
that they have not enforced in 25 years.

I just put a chunk of money in the front yard to have it landscaped. I
am prepared to spend as much on lawyers to save the back yard. If
necessary. Wish me luck.

I will take a less belligerent approach initially though.

is a garbage address.