Old 20-05-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Root depth of various plants

Does anyone know where I can find root depth information on Azealas,
Camillas, Red Bud, Crepe Myrtle, Shrub Hollies, Blueberries, and Oak
Leaf Hydrangeas spefically.

After 25 years the Town of Cary thinks some of my azealeas might some
day clog the sewerline. Funny they did not mention it 5 years ago on
that clearing project. I know the lines are 5 or more feet deep so if
I can find some documentation on how deep these plants roots go, I may
have a chance of saving them. I think most of these are shallow rooted.

There have been no clogs that I am aware of except where vandals filled
up a manhole with rocks, limbbs and dirt and that was down stream of me
at least a hundred yards. They solved the problem by bolting the man
hole covers down.

There are easements on my property and I was aware of that. I figured
the lines would last 25-50 years and I was prepared to lose the plants
if the lines had to be totally replaced, but I will fight an ordinance
that they have not enforced in 25 years.

I just put a chunk of money in the front yard to have it landscaped. I
am prepared to spend as much on lawyers to save the back yard. If
necessary. Wish me luck.

I will take a less belligerent approach initially though.

is a garbage address.
Old 20-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Dot Proulx

According to Clemson University,
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1059.htm
"Azaleas are shallow-rooted plants that are easily damaged by excessive soil
moisture. "

Hope this helps!
Dot

. ..

Old 22-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Baine Carruthers

Wes

I think most of the "written word" on plant root depths is going to be
vague. The soil's properties probably have the most to do with root depth.
I would say that the best way to determine root depth is to pull a core
sample for positive verification. I guess the burden of proof is on the
plaintiff (perhaps you). Is the town of Cary is in such dire financial
straits that it cannot afford to install pipe that is not susceptable to
azalea root damage? : )

--
Baine

. ..

Old 23-05-2005, 03:16 AM
whatsup!

On Fri, 20 May 2005 13:05:41 GMT, wrote:

[...]

Here is an example for you. My parents' have a next door neighbor.
They both live in Eastern NC (Jacksonville, NC) The neighbors decided
to re-landscape their front yard. The house, built in 1961, had 30-35
year old Formosa azaleas, which were beautiful in the spring. They
also had the smaller flowered azaleas which were probably 20 years
old. These azaleas were very very healthy (and very big). They were
removed in one afternoon with a shovel and a chain attached to a
pickup truck. All were shallow rooted (as they should be). Azaleas
spread by dropping their limbs to the ground and rooting on contact.
This is typical of a shallow rooted plant. I have taken several of the
larger ones, which still had a decent rootball, and have taken them
home. I have kept them moist and they are still alive 2 weeks later.
They would not have done so well if they were deep rooted, especially
since they were basically jerked out of the ground with some trunk
damage. I need to figure out where I will put them in my yard but I
hated for them to go to waste.

Also my neighbors decided to do what they did since my parents had
done something similar two years ago. My mom took some of her 25 year
old Formosas and smaller flowered azaleas and they were dug up with
only a shovel. They had a nice rootball but not huge. She moved them
to the backyard but didn't put them into the ground. They have rooted
from sitting in the yard and have flowered each year, losing very
little foilage when initially dug up. A deep rooted plant could not
have survived such a 'transplant'.

Roots on each situation probably didn't go more than 2 feet deep in
the soil if that.

whatsup!
Old 24-05-2005, 04:01 PM
fernvalley

Azaleas are very shallow rooted...the quickest way to kill one is to
plant it deeply. Check with the folks at the Arboretum since they would
probably have access to the "scientific data" that you'll need to make
your case to Town of Cary.

Old 26-05-2005, 06:48 PM

On 2005-05-22, Baine Carruthers wrote:
Wes

I think most of the "written word" on plant root depths is going to be
vague. The soil's properties probably have the most to do with root depth.
I would say that the best way to determine root depth is to pull a core
sample for positive verification. I guess the burden of proof is on the
plaintiff (perhaps you). Is the town of Cary is in such dire financial
straits that it cannot afford to install pipe that is not susceptable to
azalea root damage? : )

Well I just found out the 25 YO lines are Viterous Clay Pipe which is
most susceptible to root invasion. The issue is more of state law that
the 20 foot easement of sewer lines should only have ground cover.
And wording about line of sight from manhole to manhole and access.
They are taking a literal interpretation of the law and admit my shrubs
roots propbably pose little problem. But they are 5 feet tall and at
least that wide if not closer to 10.

I think we have a compromise where I can keep the azaleas if I prune
them back (Which I had intended anyway. ) I have told them that access
is not an issue since the lines are 5-10 feet down on my property so
that is going to slow them down more than the shrubs. I also told them
I had no problem losing them if they really had to send in a backhoe,
but did have a problem with having them cut for no reason at all.

I have agreed to move some camelias, sassanquas, hollies and a redbud and
they will allow me until next spring to do that so they can be moved
when dormant. Most of them will be moved just outside the easement.
Plus I plan to root some so I can replant in the future if that happens
and I lose them. Some of our shrubs are actually on town property since
my lot backs up to a greenway/floodplain. I will probably propagate it
with them as I have kept it mowed all these years.
If they come back and say I have to move the azaleas then that is when I
will engage a lawyer. I think I might be able to convince a judge that
such a strict observance of the law is not needed. At least they will
know they have been in a fight. I am perfectly willing to spend money
on a legal fight (up to a limit) and to get the town of cary a bit of
bad publicity since I already have the before pictures of the azaleas
which would be a nice contrast to the after pictures of an ugly manhole
and azalea stumps.

Eventually I suspect they will have to fix the lines, but I found out
they have minimal invasive techniques they can use. They slide in a
special plastic pipe that is flexible so they don't have to dig up all
of it only access points which unfortunately could be every manhole.
They pump in hot air to harden the plastic which becomes th new lining.

It has been interesting so far. I have argued hard but left on good
terms. I even gave one of the guys some canes from blue berry bushes.

is a garbage address.
Old 26-05-2005, 06:52 PM

On 2005-05-24, fernvalley wrote:
Azaleas are very shallow rooted...the quickest way to kill one is to
plant it deeply. Check with the folks at the Arboretum since they would
probably have access to the "scientific data" that you'll need to make
your case to Town of Cary.

The town employees opened some manhole covers for me and the roots of my
shrubs are not the total issue. The Clean Water law addresses
visibllity and accessibilty - how easy it is to see the lines and to get
to them if repairs are needed. But as I said I think we have a
compromise.

is a garbage address.

Question root depth [email protected] Roses 5 16-05-2005 08:49 PM
Herb root depth Scott Edible Gardening 1 08-04-2004 07:02 AM
Vegetable root depth Scott Gardening 6 04-10-2003 03:42 PM
Weeping Willow - Root Depth Mike Gardening 2 02-08-2003 03:22 AM
Bamboo root depth and drought - was: Shade tolerant bamboo in south Florida Rick DeBay Bamboo 1 13-03-2003 05:33 PM