Old 08-02-2003, 08:53 PM
Simon

Default Apple Tree Stump Remonal

I removed a 50 year old apple tree from our garden. What we did was lift it
out with a JCB (we were building a workshop at the time) - the trunk went
into thground about 2 feet, and then on split into a number of roots. We
thenm filled in the hole and planted grass seed. We have had no problems
with suckers or mould.

Probably the easiest way would be to get a tree feller (NPTC certified and
with public liability insurance !) to fell the tree down to ground level,
and then use a stump grinder to go down a foot or two below ground level.

Simon

"PaulK" wrote in message

"Pete" wrote in message
My elderly neighbour wants two of her three apple trees cut down and
stumps removed if possible. The trees are quite old + established.
Is there likely to be a large and deep root system on these to dig
out and if so would it be best to use some sort of chemical to kill
them off ?

Best way to remove is to cut down to around 5ft and use the trunck as a
lever to rock the root system. Excavate a little around the base then more
to access and cur roots as they are made evident by the rocking. Done slow
and steady it need not be too hard work.

pk