Old 22-05-2005, 09:17 PM
John Bachman

On 22 May 2005 08:46:37 -0700, wrote:

I need to cut two major branches from an african sumac in order to
build a wall around my property. I know that putting "tree tar" on the
wounds afterwards is a bad idea, but what about cauterization with a
blowtorch? I am interested in preventing infection to the tree as well
as discouraging new growth from beginning at the cut points. Thanks in
advance for your opinions.

Blowtorch? Blowtorch? Trees and blowtorches do not mix.

Learn how to make the cut properly for minimal damage to the tree and
then let nature take its course. The tree will be fine as long as it
is not attacked by a blowtorch or any other incendiary device.

John