Old 22-05-2005, 09:25 PM
John Bachman

On Sun, 22 May 2005 10:51:54 -0500, "Lisa"
wrote:

First of all, let me start this post by saying, I love nature. Birds,
flowers, frogs, fish, toads, mammals, etc, but what I don't love are the
pair of ducks that keep invading my new pond, tearing up my plants and
leaving their poo and filth behind in the water! We live just a few hundred
yards from a natural creek and a huge pond that is about 1/8 of a mile
behind our house in the woods. I just don't get why these ducks think my
pond is their own personal spa! Is there any way to repel them (without
hurting them) from my ponds? I have two little bitty ponds, an upper and
lower. I had a net on the lower pond most of the spring and mostly because
last year I had a heron visiting eating my fish. I left the net on this
spring to keep the ducks out, but the blasted fowl kept coming and sitting
on top of the net! Now, I added an upper pond, that does not in the least
look natural to my setting, but I like it all the same and they are now
using this as their personal spa. They are eating my plants and trashing
the water. I have not yet added fish to this yet as I am waiting until the
water is in balance and I added chemicals for chlorine, etc. I hate putting
the net back as they still sit on top of it. Does anyone know of a
repellent I could use? I do not own a dog and my cat (who goes out on a
leash) does not really care about the ducks, or he is scared of them. Help!

Thanks for listening to my ranting and ravings. I don't normally post
because I can find what I need by searching the postings, but didn't see
anything recently about ducks.

Your subject line says it all. Having been foolish enough to keep
ducks for a couple of years, I learned that they are one of the
dumbest crittesr on earth.

Since they are not smart they do not know that your little pond is
inferior to the natural one down the road. They do not know anything,
they just stumble through life being ducks until they die of ingrown
stupdiity or get eaten.

It is not hard to outsmart them. Hang a plastic owl or hawk nearby
and the ducks will be gone.

John