Old 22-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Lisa

Default Stupid Ducks!

First of all, let me start this post by saying, I love nature. Birds,
flowers, frogs, fish, toads, mammals, etc, but what I don't love are the
pair of ducks that keep invading my new pond, tearing up my plants and
leaving their poo and filth behind in the water! We live just a few hundred
yards from a natural creek and a huge pond that is about 1/8 of a mile
behind our house in the woods. I just don't get why these ducks think my
pond is their own personal spa! Is there any way to repel them (without
hurting them) from my ponds? I have two little bitty ponds, an upper and
lower. I had a net on the lower pond most of the spring and mostly because
last year I had a heron visiting eating my fish. I left the net on this
spring to keep the ducks out, but the blasted fowl kept coming and sitting
on top of the net! Now, I added an upper pond, that does not in the least
look natural to my setting, but I like it all the same and they are now
using this as their personal spa. They are eating my plants and trashing
the water. I have not yet added fish to this yet as I am waiting until the
water is in balance and I added chemicals for chlorine, etc. I hate putting
the net back as they still sit on top of it. Does anyone know of a
repellent I could use? I do not own a dog and my cat (who goes out on a
leash) does not really care about the ducks, or he is scared of them. Help!

Thanks for listening to my ranting and ravings. I don't normally post
because I can find what I need by searching the postings, but didn't see
anything recently about ducks.

Lisa
Northern Indiana

Old 22-05-2005, 04:58 PM
kathy

Three options besides netting,
surround the pond with an electric shock
fence or try a motion activated sprinkler
or borrow a dog for a week.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 22-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Klassik Koi

Lisa wrote:
First of all, let me start this post by saying, I love nature. Birds,
flowers, frogs, fish, toads, mammals, etc, but what I don't love are the
pair of ducks that keep invading my new pond, tearing up my plants and
leaving their poo and filth behind in the water!

#let me tell you about Duck droppings. They are the best fertilizer in
the world. But I feel your pain. Go doen to city hall, and ask for
county duck hunters. You can also by a Manx from Canada. That should
help. But truthfully you are nitwit anyway.

Old 22-05-2005, 09:25 PM
John Bachman

On Sun, 22 May 2005 10:51:54 -0500, "Lisa"
wrote:

[...]

Your subject line says it all. Having been foolish enough to keep
ducks for a couple of years, I learned that they are one of the
dumbest crittesr on earth.

Since they are not smart they do not know that your little pond is
inferior to the natural one down the road. They do not know anything,
they just stumble through life being ducks until they die of ingrown
stupdiity or get eaten.

It is not hard to outsmart them. Hang a plastic owl or hawk nearby
and the ducks will be gone.

John
Old 22-05-2005, 10:30 PM
kathy

There is a famous rec.ponds post about ducks
here it is:
Tina wrote We have a man-made pond and wondered
if it is possilbe to buy baby duck to
put at the pond,

Wooah Tina... Don't rush into this duck thing.

I have a Peking, its a beautiful white innocent thing that poops in
unbelievable quantities. Never mind about a bio-filter, you are going
need a sewerage system suitable for a small town to deal with what this

duck is going to do to your pond.

would they stay or would they leave?

No need to fret on this account - ducks never take the hint. Chuck `em
it in the air and it'll come right back. Sure it will occasionally
wander out onto the highway, but motorists would rather run off the
road
and kill all their passengers than hit a duck that's sitting looking
right at them.

Look closely at the general design of your average duck, notice that
the
cranium is small. It is my belief that if you could take all the duck
brains in the world and combine them in a sort of super organic
computer
you would basically have a machine with a loose bowel and a vocabulary
limited to: "quack". A duck is a natural born lobotomy.

wondering if the cats if the neighborhood would bother them.

Hell no, the neighborhood cats will not bother your duck, unless it is
duckling which you have just presented to your young daughter. Actually

you will find the neighborhood cats will avoid close encounters with
anything that looks like a duck. This is partly because cats dislike
stepping in duck doo to get to their prey and partly because the duck
thinks any passing cat must be its mother/sister/brother/mate. Even the

staunchest Tom cat finds it unnerving to have to deal with this sort of

thing and will generally go to extremes to avoid an embarrassing
encounter.

Would we need to
put a fence around it?

Sure, fence your duck, but it wont do you any good. You will still hear

screeching tires on the road and the neighbors will still phone you up
to say your duck is harassing their cat again.

If you do get a duck be sure to turn on the lights at night before your

walk across the lawn. One of the most unforgettable experiences you can

have is tripping over a sleeping duck in the dark.

Regards =A0Ian Gill =A0 Westland =A0New Zealand
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 23-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Happy'Cam'per

HILARIOUS....LOLOLOL
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Regards Ian Gill Westland New Zealand
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 23-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Reel McKoi

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message
I have a Peking, its a beautiful white innocent thing that poops in
unbelievable quantities. Never mind about a bio-filter, you are going
need a sewerage system suitable for a small town to deal with what this

========================
Worse yet they're happier in pairs. :-( Been there, done that - never
again!
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
EVERYONE: ""Please check people's headers for forgeries

Old 23-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Bette E

We have had a "pair" of Mallard ducks, come to our pond every year for
the past 5 years. We are in Central OH.
They come like clockwork in late April, stay for approx. one week-- then
leave for their permanant summer home further north of us.

Aside from occasional duck droppings on my stones, which hose right off,
they do no harm. In fact, I think any droppings that may go into the
pond, jump start the plants.
While I would never introduce any ducks to my pond on purpose, these
two, are harbringers of Spring and a most welcome sight.

Old 23-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Reel McKoi

"Bette E" wrote in message
We have had a "pair" of Mallard ducks, come to our pond every year for
the past 5 years. We are in Central OH.
They come like clockwork in late April, stay for approx. one week-- then
leave for their permanant summer home further north of us.

Aside from occasional duck droppings on my stones, which hose right off,
they do no harm. In fact, I think any droppings that may go into the
pond, jump start the plants.
While I would never introduce any ducks to my pond on purpose, these
two, are harbringers of Spring and a most welcome sight.

===========================
I had a pair of Pekins (sp?) someone gave me some years ago. They grew into
large white ducks and were very tame. Their eggs were large and delicious.
BUT - I had to change the water in their kiddy-pool almost daily. They were
so cute but they POOPED everywhere! I mean everywhere! The yard, the
garden, the driveway, the porch, the outbuilding.......
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 24-05-2005, 12:26 AM
~Roy~

Duck droppings are very high in nitrgoen as well as other nutrients,
and it does not take one duck very long or too many ducks to make a
mess and load up the average pond with excessive nutrients. I have
one lonely mallard drake on my pond now for about 3 or more years. He
rarely goes in the water except early morn or late evening, when he
goes to the pond with the goats that he hangs with. When they all go
for a drink he goes for a quick dip........other than that he stays
with the herd of goats wherever they are at. Some day I maya find a
hen for him but so far no luck. He waw born and raised here but his
two hens got nailed by predators while on their nests.......so he is a
widower x2 now.........

On Mon, 23 May 2005 16:58:38 -0400, (Bette E)
wrote:

===We have had a "pair" of Mallard ducks, come to our pond every year for
===the past 5 years. We are in Central OH.
===They come like clockwork in late April, stay for approx. one week-- then
===leave for their permanant summer home further north of us.
===

Old 24-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Lisa

"My Ducks" have been here for well over a month!
They show no signs of leaving....I guess I'll drag the net back out. "sigh"

I enjoyed reading the responses! Thanks!