Old 23-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Greg Cooper

SC guy wrote:

Any tips or pitfalls in construction of a pond with waterfall?. I plan on
using aquascape products, biofalls etc.

I dont know how long a water fall you are planing. Mine was really
quite short so it was not much of an issue for me but if your water
fall/stream is of any lenght, so it represents a fair volume of water,
you may wish to create a series of small "dams" along its lenght at
intervals. This serves two purposes:
1) it holds back the water when the pump is off so it does not all drain
down into your main pond and over flow.
2) it creates a appearance of greater depth and flow of water.

I will now attempt to do a crude character graphics drawing....
(imagine the whole thing slopes from left to right)

+++++++
++++++ +
+ ++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
+
+++++++++++

Also make sure that your slate or what ever flat type rock you are using
to create the drop into your pond is level so that you will get a good
even flow across it. You will need the fish safe black expanding foam.
Otherwise a surprising volume of water will find its way under
your rocks rather than over them.

You water fall/stream will give you lots of opportunity to "tinker with
the flow" by shifting a rock here or there till you get a flow you like
and a natural look. Watch out for splashes that will cause your pond
to loose water after a while.

Also be sure that your liner from the pond is well overlapped by the
stream liner to avoid leaks the

+++++++++++ +++++ Stream Liner, ^^^^^ Pond Liner
^^^^^^^^+
|^+
|^+
|^
|^

Good luck and have fun.
(The fish certainly will - they seem to enjoy playing in the turbulence
where the water drops into the pond.