Old 22-05-2005, 01:24 PM
SC guy

Default Pond and waterfall construction

Any tips or pitfalls in construction of a pond with waterfall?. I plan on
using aquascape products, biofalls etc.

Old 22-05-2005, 05:58 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 22 May 2005 08:24:28 -0400, "SC guy" wrote:

Any tips or pitfalls in construction of a pond with waterfall?. I plan on
using aquascape products, biofalls etc.

Don't line the whole liner with rocks as they suggest. Do not mortar or
foam anything permanent till you see how it runs. Use lots of silicon on
fittings. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 23-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Greg Cooper

SC guy wrote:

Any tips or pitfalls in construction of a pond with waterfall?. I plan on
using aquascape products, biofalls etc.

I dont know how long a water fall you are planing. Mine was really
quite short so it was not much of an issue for me but if your water
fall/stream is of any lenght, so it represents a fair volume of water,
you may wish to create a series of small "dams" along its lenght at
intervals. This serves two purposes:
1) it holds back the water when the pump is off so it does not all drain
down into your main pond and over flow.
2) it creates a appearance of greater depth and flow of water.

I will now attempt to do a crude character graphics drawing....
(imagine the whole thing slopes from left to right)

+++++++
++++++ +
+ ++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
+
+++++++++++

Also make sure that your slate or what ever flat type rock you are using
to create the drop into your pond is level so that you will get a good
even flow across it. You will need the fish safe black expanding foam.
Otherwise a surprising volume of water will find its way under
your rocks rather than over them.

You water fall/stream will give you lots of opportunity to "tinker with
the flow" by shifting a rock here or there till you get a flow you like
and a natural look. Watch out for splashes that will cause your pond
to loose water after a while.

Also be sure that your liner from the pond is well overlapped by the
stream liner to avoid leaks the

+++++++++++ +++++ Stream Liner, ^^^^^ Pond Liner
^^^^^^^^+
---------^+
|^+
|^+
|^
|^============WATER LEVEL ==========
|^

Good luck and have fun.
(The fish certainly will - they seem to enjoy playing in the turbulence
where the water drops into the pond.
Old 23-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC guy
Any tips or pitfalls in construction of a pond with waterfall?. I plan on
using aquascape products, biofalls etc.
I agree with jan. Rocks are ok for the ledges, but I strongly suggest you keep the bottom clear.

Waterfalls are the main source of leaks. So be particular when you construct this. Take your time. I used greatstuff foam for under my waterfall rocks. I do not want a waterfall that is too permanent- I might want to change it later, so no mortar for me.

I have heard of a product that is supposedly better than silicone for the skimmer face plate and for attaching the liner to the bio-falls. It is called Sikaflex 291 and cures under water. Told it is sold at many home improvement stores.

Good luck with your new pond. Happy ponding!
Old 23-05-2005, 02:56 AM
Greg Cooper

That picture did not turn out quite correct - I hope this one is more clear.