Old 22-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

The UK SpeedTrap Guide" @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
The UK Weather Guide" @ www.ukstorms.com
"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Steve -
www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk writes

Now I have hard clay ground, I was hoping that by using a Mantis and
Compost
I could get it in better condition.
The ground is hard but digging with a fork and then chopping up with a
spade
whilst adding compost realy turns it into quite good soild.
The reason for the Mantis is spade + fork = back problems for me.

I guess I could use the 365 day return policy and give it a go. I plan to
call in next week when I am in Stockport as I have also noticed the
imported
price is £320 and some online prices are £250 with all the same deal. I
want
to see if the importer will match this or has any used ones for sale
first.

If you have clay you could do far worse than buy some sand and dig that
in - or pay someone else to do it for you, as you have a bad back. Sand
is quite successful in breaking down clay. Our soil is very heavy clay
and whatever we do, it turns back to clay unless it is regularly attended
to.
Also, I paid someone to re-jig part of my garden a couple of years ago. He
was a professional gardener and even he had a tough time using the hired
rotovator on our clay.

365 days is a long try-out period but if the machine is not up to the job,
you have lost a season. Could you not hire one for a day and see how you
go?
--
June Hughes

I did hire one of theose big ones for a day to redo the lawn, great sucess
and I am very pleased with the result we now have a flat lawn that looks
very good and has much better drainage.
I am now thinking a small unit may be handy to help improve on the borders.
I going to visit Mantis first and have a chat, I hate to waste peoples time
and would rather not buy one only to give it back. It is not fair on the
suppiler, however if after the chat they say it will be fine and its not
then at least I asked so I wont feel as bad.
Thanks
Steve