Old 24-05-2005, 12:26 AM
~Roy~

Duck droppings are very high in nitrgoen as well as other nutrients,
and it does not take one duck very long or too many ducks to make a
mess and load up the average pond with excessive nutrients. I have
one lonely mallard drake on my pond now for about 3 or more years. He
rarely goes in the water except early morn or late evening, when he
goes to the pond with the goats that he hangs with. When they all go
for a drink he goes for a quick dip........other than that he stays
with the herd of goats wherever they are at. Some day I maya find a
hen for him but so far no luck. He waw born and raised here but his
two hens got nailed by predators while on their nests.......so he is a
widower x2 now.........

On Mon, 23 May 2005 16:58:38 -0400, (Bette E)
wrote:

===We have had a "pair" of Mallard ducks, come to our pond every year for
===the past 5 years. We are in Central OH.
===They come like clockwork in late April, stay for approx. one week-- then
===leave for their permanant summer home further north of us.
===
===Aside from occasional duck droppings on my stones, which hose right off,
===they do no harm. In fact, I think any droppings that may go into the
===pond, jump start the plants.
===While I would never introduce any ducks to my pond on purpose, these
===two, are harbringers of Spring and a most welcome sight.