Old 24-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Jim Lewis

Jo Trojer wrote:
Mission imp... Birch - 2005/05/24 12:50
Yesterday I stumbled over a Birch (white bark) growing out between a pavement and wall with a nice thick 3 inch trunk. At the same time I saw the gardners clearing the area and asked whether they are going to get rid of the Brich and they said that it will be gone by tomorrow evening! I searched for the person in charge and got the go-ahead to try and salvage the Birch tonight after work....

Q1: Is it too late in the growing season for it to survive this?

Probably. On the other hand it's not going to survive the
gardeners' attack, either, so if you don't mind the work
there's always a chance.

Q2: Any tips what to do directly after salvaging? Bonsai soil okay?

Shade, Moist but not soggy, well-draining soil with organic
matter (pine bark, etc.). Out of all wind. Acid fertilizer
-- immediately if you get a lot of root, in a couple of
weeks if you don't.

One thing. While birch are frequently bonsaied, they come
with a set of problems. Virtually every insect known loves
their leaves. They have their own borer -- the bronze birch
borer. Various leaf spot diseases also are common. They
are relatively short lived.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --