Old 24-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Martin Brown

Margret wrote:

Is it true that aloe vera is good for burns, itches etc? I have heard that
it is.

Yes. But be *sure* you have the authentic Aloe vera and not some random
look alike. There is pressure in the garden centre trade to label any
old Aloe with "vera" since they sell so well. And a fair number of aloes
(Liliaceae) have irrittating sap. Some people are sensitive to A. vera.

Don't even think about using one that is recently bought from a garden
centre though - it will be laced with systemic pesticides.

I am told A. vera gel is especially good for treating radiation burns.

Are they hard to grow?

No. Just don't overwater. Grows like a weed.

Regards,
Martin Brown