Old 24-05-2005, 12:24 AM
Margret

Default Aloe Vera

Is it true that aloe vera is good for burns, itches etc? I have heard that
it is. Are they hard to grow?
Cheers, Margret

Old 24-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Emrys Davies

"Margret" no wrote in message ...
Is it true that aloe vera is good for burns, itches etc? I have heard

that
it is. Are they hard to grow?
Cheers, Margret

Margret,

Some of the sites which deal with the healing properties of Aloe Vera:

http://www.nutritional-supplement-in...aloe-vera.html

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/health/com...182010,00.html

http://www.gardensablaze.com/HerbAloeMed.htm

How to grow Aloe Vera:

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/aloe~vera.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 24-05-2005, 01:23 AM
davek

"Margret" no wrote in message ...
Is it true that aloe vera is good for burns, itches etc? I have heard that
it is. Are they hard to grow?

Wouldn't think so, it grows wild near our friends house (Costa del Sol).
DaveK.

Old 24-05-2005, 03:17 AM
Gary Woods

"Margret" no wrote:

Are they hard to grow?

Dead easy if you don't over-water. Not terribly fast growing, since
they're desert plants, but if I haven't managed to kill one...

You can often split offset plants from the main one; perhaps a friend has
one that is overgrowing the pot...

Old 24-05-2005, 07:48 AM
June Hughes

In message , Margret
writes
Is it true that aloe vera is good for burns, itches etc? I have heard that
it is. Are they hard to grow?

Yes, treats burns etc. but a few people are allergic to it, so a patch
test would be advisable. Not hard to grow as houseplants and can go
outside for the summer. Prickles are a bit fierce. Mine has several
babies at present.
--
June Hughes

Old 24-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Martin Brown

Margret wrote:

Is it true that aloe vera is good for burns, itches etc? I have heard that
it is.

Yes. But be *sure* you have the authentic Aloe vera and not some random
look alike. There is pressure in the garden centre trade to label any
old Aloe with "vera" since they sell so well. And a fair number of aloes
(Liliaceae) have irrittating sap. Some people are sensitive to A. vera.

Don't even think about using one that is recently bought from a garden
centre though - it will be laced with systemic pesticides.

I am told A. vera gel is especially good for treating radiation burns.

Are they hard to grow?

No. Just don't overwater. Grows like a weed.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 24-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margret
Is it true that aloe vera is good for burns, itches etc? I have heard that
it is. Margret
Aloe Vera is excellent for sunburn or as an aftersun - very cooling. If you can't grow it, you can get aftersun lotions containing aloe vera but a lot of the time they have so little aloe vera in them, that it is almost misleading to call them aloe vera aftersuns (like Banana Boat - check the ingredients list - aloe vera is right down the list and ingredient lists start with the biggest ingredient first). You can get a tube of gel in Holland and Barrett which contains 99% aloe vera which is really the kind of thing you would need if you wanted to try it.
Old 25-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Brian Watson

"whistler-alison" wrote in
message ...

Margret Wrote:
Is it true that aloe vera is good for burns, itches etc? I have heard
that
it is. Margret

Aloe Vera is excellent for sunburn or as an aftersun - very cooling. If
you can't grow it, you can get aftersun lotions containing aloe vera
but a lot of the time they have so little aloe vera in them, that it is
almost misleading to call them aloe vera aftersuns (like Banana Boat -

True. My last one had hardly any boat present.

:-)

--
Brian
Sig: I have nothing more to say

Old 27-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Registered User

Aloe Vera can also be foind in the petshops where it is added to the plastic bag you buy fish in. Apparently it reduces stress in the fish!
Old 28-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Mike Lyle

JohnOGroats wrote:
Aloe Vera can also be foind in the petshops where it is added to

the
plastic bag you buy fish in. Apparently it reduces stress in the
fish!

I'm sure they'll soon be marketing it as a fuel additive for cars.
"Reduce stress and strain the natural way! Pseudo-Doctor Gillian
Mickyeth proves your engine could last at least up to fifty per cent
better! A massive ninety-five per cent of leading homoeopaths
consulted said their cars preferred it to Rescue Remedy!"

--
Mike.

Aloe Vera Plants jammer Plant Biology 13 13-11-2005 09:07 PM
how to cook Aloe vera? John Savage Australia 13 07-07-2003 05:03 PM
Aloe Vera Plants rusty Plant Biology 13 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
Preserving Aloe Vera? Nicholas J Ruggiero Plant Biology 1 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
Aloe vera - too soon to put outside? kate Gardening 17 25-03-2003 02:32 PM