Old 24-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Jo Trojer

Von: Jim Lewis

Q2: Any tips what to do directly after salvaging? Bonsai soil okay?

Shade, Moist but not soggy, well-draining soil with organic
matter (pine bark, etc.). Out of all wind. Acid fertilizer
-- immediately if you get a lot of root, in a couple of
weeks if you don't.

One thing. While birch are frequently bonsaied, they come
with a set of problems. Virtually every insect known loves
their leaves. They have their own borer -- the bronze birch
borer. Various leaf spot diseases also are common. They
are relatively short lived.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Jo: Sounds like a challenge! Will post pics to the IBC forum when I am done! I hope I can get enough roots for it to survive but it looks dodgy... Very fine crack it is growing out of and I might have to chop a lot!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++