Old 25-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Doug Kanter

Here (NY), mechanics shops are required to accept old oil, at no charge. I
recently asked mine about lower unit oil from my outboard motor. He said
"Doesn't matter - any petroleum products can be added to our waste
container". Check with your mechanic.

Another option is to add a little at a time to your car's gas tank, BUT ONLY
IF YOU'RE NEAR EMPTY AND ABOUT TO FILL THE TANK. I've heard this from
multiple sources, and done it myself, without any problem. The only warning
is that if you think your portable tank might be filthy on the inside for
some reason, you don't want to add that gas to any motor.

"Jack" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks. Yeah, did not seem likely. In that case, what should be done with
the oil gas mixture, I imagine safely drain it at the dump where they
accept
toxic materials. I'd pass it on to someone if I knew anyone! TIA.

"Timothy" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:03:08 -0400, Jack wrote:

Hey, I used to use an old Lawnboy mower from around 88, and finally
this
year have a newer one, about five years old. The old one used an
oil/gas
mixture, but the newer one has separate spots for each. So my question

is
can I still use the oil/gas mixture in the new one, since there is
still
some left to be used? Thanks!

No, do not use it. It will foul your spark plug right quick and may cause
other issues as well.

I worked for this small compainy mowing grass and what not, when the
owner
asked me to stop at the rental store and pick up a brush hog for the day.
I meet him at a job site where there was a 3 acre field that need to look
like lawn at the end of it. He left me with a 2 gallon can of mixed fuel.
He said that it was a rental and the mix fuel won't hurt the machine.
After two tank fulls of mixed gas, the machine backfired, shot fire out
the exhaust and lit the field on fire. Needless to say, I ran my but off
to the truck and called the fire depo. I quit soon after.... ;0P

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com