Old 25-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Jack

Default Oil/gas mixture safe in newer mower...?

Hey, I used to use an old Lawnboy mower from around 88, and finally this
year have a newer one, about five years old. The old one used an oil/gas
mixture, but the newer one has separate spots for each. So my question is
can I still use the oil/gas mixture in the new one, since there is still
some left to be used? Thanks!

Old 25-05-2005, 01:54 AM
Timothy

On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:03:08 -0400, Jack wrote:

Hey, I used to use an old Lawnboy mower from around 88, and finally this
year have a newer one, about five years old. The old one used an oil/gas
mixture, but the newer one has separate spots for each. So my question is
can I still use the oil/gas mixture in the new one, since there is still
some left to be used? Thanks!

No, do not use it. It will foul your spark plug right quick and may cause
other issues as well.

I worked for this small compainy mowing grass and what not, when the owner
asked me to stop at the rental store and pick up a brush hog for the day.
I meet him at a job site where there was a 3 acre field that need to look
like lawn at the end of it. He left me with a 2 gallon can of mixed fuel.
He said that it was a rental and the mix fuel won't hurt the machine.
After two tank fulls of mixed gas, the machine backfired, shot fire out
the exhaust and lit the field on fire. Needless to say, I ran my but off
to the truck and called the fire depo. I quit soon after.... ;0P

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com
Old 25-05-2005, 02:02 AM
Josh

"Timothy" wrote

I worked for this small compainy mowing grass and what not, when the owner
asked me to stop at the rental store and pick up a brush hog for the day.
I meet him at a job site where there was a 3 acre field that need to look
like lawn at the end of it. He left me with a 2 gallon can of mixed fuel.
He said that it was a rental and the mix fuel won't hurt the machine.
After two tank fulls of mixed gas, the machine backfired, shot fire out
the exhaust and lit the field on fire. Needless to say, I ran my but off
to the truck and called the fire depo. I quit soon after.... ;0P

LOL. I know on the serious side, this isn't funny. But, you painted a
funny scenario.

Old 25-05-2005, 02:31 AM
Steveo

Timothy wrote:
[...]

Too funny a visual, Timothy.

Old 25-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Jack

Thanks. Yeah, did not seem likely. In that case, what should be done with
the oil gas mixture, I imagine safely drain it at the dump where they accept
toxic materials. I'd pass it on to someone if I knew anyone! TIA.

Old 25-05-2005, 11:42 AM
- Tom -

That makes me wonder where all the gasoline in the tanks of junked or
totally wrecked vehicles ends up. Call a junkyard to ask if they'll tell you
what becomes of all that gasoline. Maybe a friendly one would take it from
you.
Toxic waste dumps would likely charge too much for accepting the old
gas.
Phone your local recycling agency or municipal gov't to see what they
recommend.

--
Tom

. ..

Old 25-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Doug Kanter

Here (NY), mechanics shops are required to accept old oil, at no charge. I
recently asked mine about lower unit oil from my outboard motor. He said
"Doesn't matter - any petroleum products can be added to our waste
container". Check with your mechanic.

Another option is to add a little at a time to your car's gas tank, BUT ONLY
IF YOU'RE NEAR EMPTY AND ABOUT TO FILL THE TANK. I've heard this from
multiple sources, and done it myself, without any problem. The only warning
is that if you think your portable tank might be filthy on the inside for
some reason, you don't want to add that gas to any motor.

. ..

Old 25-05-2005, 06:24 PM

"LAUGHING OUT LOUD !!!!! "

Yeah, we all spend thousands more now for cars so that they run clean
to protect air quality. Then there are idiots like Doug that think
it's OK to put some 2 cycle gas/oil in the tank. Maybe if he burns out
the catalytic converter he'll wise up, but I doubt it.

Old 25-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
"LAUGHING OUT LOUD !!!!! "

Yeah, we all spend thousands more now for cars so that they run clean
to protect air quality. Then there are idiots like Doug that think
it's OK to put some 2 cycle gas/oil in the tank. Maybe if he burns out
the catalytic converter he'll wise up, but I doubt it.

Idiot. 1 gallon of gasoline containing a few ounces of oil, mixed into a 15
or 20 gallon tank, once a blue moon, is NOT going to ruin the converter, or
contribute anything meaningful in terms of pollution. If the guy's got many
gallons of oil/gas mix, then he'd be wise to get rid of it a little at a
time. But you knew that. You're really smart.

Old 26-05-2005, 03:39 AM

"Idiot. 1 gallon of gasoline containing a few ounces of oil, mixed into
a 15
or 20 gallon tank, once a blue moon, is NOT going to ruin the
converter, or
contribute anything meaningful in terms of pollution. If the guy's got
many
gallons of oil/gas mix, then he'd be wise to get rid of it a little at
time. But you knew that. You're really smart. "

You know the best part? Watching how your feeble mind works. Someone
has a problem with a neighbors dog, you advocate poisoning it. Someone
has a few gallons of left over 2 cycle fuel, you recommend putting into
a car's gas tank where it will only add to pollution that we're all
trying to eliminate. Both of these are classic examples of how your
whacko mind operates. Everyone else would think of all kinds of
reasonable solutions, yet you jump to the worst, and/or illegal ones.
In the case of the left over 2 cycle fuel, it could simply be given to
anyone who has two cycle lawn/garden eqptl, like a leaf blower. Ever
hear of those, genius?

Maybe you should stick to giving advice on how to maintain lawns
through benign neglect.

Old 26-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

OK, pusswad. Got enough baby oil to make it through the rest of your
miserable day?