Old 26-05-2005, 12:39 PM
me2intheUK me2intheUK is offline
Registered User

Red face Conifer hedge - recommendations

Can anyone recommend a slow growing conifer for the south of England- getting afternoon and evening sun (south west position). I am replacing a conifer hedge that got too tall and untidy, needing too much trimming! I would like a maximum height of 2m. to 3m., conical shape, low maintenance - and if the trees are spaced far enough apart they remain as a row of nice specimen trees rather forming a dense hedge.

The person who removed the old trees has recommended 3 but my research has been very confusing.
1. chamaecyparis lawsoniana ellwoodii - which he said he could get in blue or gold but info I'm reading seems the gold ones have different names and characteristics.
2. Picea Alberta conica: I can only find one called Picea Glauca Conica or Dwarf Albert Spruce and it said that one doesn't like intense sunlight.
3. Juniperus squamata Blue Arrow : I think he meant Scopulorum Blue Arrow (which is a bit too narrow) all the Squamata named ones seem to be low growing and I could'nt find a blue arrow!
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks